Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an itch to paint the factory plastic grey bumpers black. Does anyone here have a suggestion on what I could use to accomplish this?

A member named Erick accomplished this but I dont think he is a member anymore because he never responded to my requests. If you do a search for his name you can find his post. It looks pretty clean. (Especially if you have or are considering getting the shrock bumpers)

Thanks!

·
on line
962 Posts
well, i just finished reading his post and he said that he used platic bonding paint. I would assume that krylon fusion would be your best bet. But make sure to clean it really well beforehand!

I would like to see this done on a black X!

·
on line
652 Posts
plastic expands different than steel so painting is difficult. Knowing what type of plastic is on your x will help you. I would talk with a pro. for some insight. Generally a flex agent is added to the paint for the plastic. If you have ever used armorall or a similar product on your plastic you may have trouble. Some types of plastic can actually absorb that crap. I shot my grill with dupli color but if I had screwed it up or the paint peels I could replace it for 70 bucks. Do your homework and find a shop that paints plastics. Sometimes a high build primer is used to fill the grain. Well thats my 2 cents.

Shutter man has a good idea with the krylon. I would say it would already have the flex agent. The question will be if it is compatible with the plastic and if you can get it free from silicone or other contaminents.

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts