Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint the silver part or my grille/bumpers black or dark grey. I've been looking at plastic paint- but i'm afraid it's going to chip. Plastidip, but Ive seen pink fade to super light orange on other peoples cars, plus some of it peel off on its on and was wary about that. I thought about truck bed liner but don't know much about it. I'd love to get some opinions from you guys before i go ahead and buy a bunch of stuff. My expierience is limited.

Also wanted to match the black of the grille to my body- lava red- but cant seem to find any sprays with the right match. THANKS!!

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I sanded my 09 silver buck tooth grille down a little by hand and then used a spray can bed liner on it and love the way it came out and its adhering strong so far.

Pretty sure I used a plastic specific primer before the bed liner, let me look back at pictures.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Plastidip isn't permanent. Unless you want to do it again in a year or so, paint for plastics. Krylon Fusion for Plastics is best. Just make sure you prep and take your time.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plastidip isn't permanent. Unless you want to do it again in a year or so, paint for plastics. Krylon Fusion for Plastics is best. Just make sure you prep and take your time.
How many cans do you think I'll need for just the silver part?

& i read teh how to on the grille removal, but does anyone know if the black honeycomb piece removes from the silver frame so that I could paint them separately?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I would get like 4 cans just to be safe, you never want to run out of paint

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can separate the honeycomb after the grill is off the truck. Its held on to the grill by plastic tabs. It is a pain realigning them for reassembly.
blehh. probably not going to have a choice if decide to paint the honeycomb red. really hoping that it turns out as well as i envision it to! I saw someone on here with a white X that did it and I really liked the idea.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think they all hold up the same. I have tons of plastidip, flexidip, Rustoleum trim and bumper paint, and Rustoleum bedliner on my xterra. They all wear down over time. What It really comes down to is the look you want. Plastidip is flat black, but smooth. Trim and bumper paint is a satin black with some sheen. And bed liner differs from brand to brand. The Rustoleum is a lot more matte black than Herculiner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had good luck with plasti-dip. Did my entire '87 4runner and it's holding up OK. Easy to redo if it does peel or if you don't like it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
if you use plasti dip you'll be re doing it in about 2 weeks.. i love the way mine looks but every time i wash my X i have to re spray it
Gotta respectfully disagree with you bud, did my grill and bumper in October, still looks like new after probably 20 carwashs. Doing my rims this weekend.

·
on line
2015 Xterra
177 Posts
I have used plasti-dip on my front grill and emblems and they hold up fine, but the wheels DID NOT hold up well. The brake dust seemed to adhere to the plastidip and the wheels looked dusty even after scrubbing them with a brush. Ended up peeling it all off and using real wheel paint.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have used plasti-dip on my front grill and emblems and they hold up fine, but the wheels DID NOT hold up well. The brake dust seemed to adhere to the plastidip and the wheels looked dusty even after scrubbing them with a brush. Ended up peeling it all off and using real wheel paint.
Wish I'd have read that before buying 12 cans for this weekend...:banghead:

·
on line
2015 Xterra
177 Posts
Wish I'd have read that before buying 12 cans for this weekend...:banghead:
You can return the cans you dont use! I used VHT Gloss Black wheel paint and am happy with the results. Here is when I first painted them:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can return the cans you dont use! I used VHT Gloss Black wheel paint and am happy with the results. Here is when I first painted them:
hmmm. i have doubts about any kind of paint holding up! :confused4: i wish i wasnt such a diva- i love the look (AND price) of original wheels painted but can't bring myself to do it. That looks great.

let's see how i do with the grille first. i'm having anxiety about taking the grill apart & putting it back together my myself!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've used plasti-dip on pretty much all the lighter grey trim on mine. Yeah it does chip and what not over time (certainly not 2 weeks, maybe more like 2-4 months); but at 5-6dollars a can its not a bad idea to use it, get an idea of what your end product is going to be then peel it off and replace it with a better material. Also doing your trim with plasti-dip, helps you get the technique down if you dont have experiece in this particular area.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts