Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving today and saw a black 2012 X with the bumpers blacked out- looked great, even my wife noticed. Given that my avalanche white 2010 already has some scrapes, I'm ready to do this! Questions...

Are people removing the silver F&R bumper sections for repainting, or just taping & masking? any tips here?

Basically... my wheels on my avalanche white xterra are already painted duplicolor graphite, I'm thinking of painting the silver F&R bumper sections and skid rails to match....for the full storm trooper effect! Any reasons not to, or any tips if I do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
considering they are easy to remove I would take them off. No need to worry about overspray, or waste 3 or 4 times the amount of time to mask it all.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I took my rear bumper off, but then again I wasn't planning on stealthing it when I removed it. Luckily I had just enough paint left.

Whatever method you choose just remember the prep work is where it matters.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... I'll definitely take 'em off if it's easy. Is the lower portion easily removed as well?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got my search on and found all the useful threads here...
this one this one and this one

The one thing I am curious about is possibly using duplicolor graphite wheel paint on the silver plastic bumper pieces. Already used it on my wheels, it matches the plastics well, and I'd have the same finish on all my stealthed stuff. Not really keen on adding another finish. Duplicolor says it can be used on plastic wheel caps so I think it should be fine as far as flexing/chipping/cracking goes... stealthed my wheels a year ago and they've held up great.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
I originnaly did mine in Rust-Oleum for outdoor plastic in Dark Pewter. Wanted something different from the black everyone else did.

Did the headlights the same color

Taking the bumper down helps to get the lower section off. Only one bolt on each side and a few clips.

I tried to remove the rear bumper with just hand tools. But ended up masking it off.

If you are going to do the bumpers you have to do the roof rack rails to complete the look.

Last summer I was rear ended and had to paint the rear bumper again. Tried gunmetal Plasti-Dip, figured if I didn’t like it I could just peel it off.

I liked it so I did the front to match. Eventually I’m going to redo the headlight mod in flat black.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
I did it when the truck was only 4-5 months old, had no trouble with the ones going into the roof. I did have one that secured a plastic foot to the rail that did not want to come off though. They have torx heads as well, one of the heads stripped, had to use dremel to cut a slot in it for a standard screw driver .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ramness, thanks for that! Learned a few useful things from your post, namely I may as well paint the rear bumper masked on the truck, and I should stealth the headlights while I'm at it.

Your rig looks great!

I just returned from 5 days camping and scored a broken driving light. Good excuse to upgrade. By the way, what are the additional driving lights on yours? Looks awesome... I'd love to add some more light without ripping out my headliner etc.

In other news....really having a great summer with my xterra. The duplicolor graphite really does match the plastics well so I think I'll do that for paint.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
The front grill should be removed, it only takes like 2 minutes. The rear bumper can be removed in about 15 mins. Up to you.
You make it sound a lot easier than it is. I finally gave up on removing my rear bumper after an hr of struggling, breaking socket, an extension, and smashing my hand when the socket broke. I even tried using a breaker bar with a pipe extension on it. Those Nissan robots put the bumper bolts on tighter than anything I've ever encountered. I got them all off but one. One wasn't going anywhere.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts