Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HATE the grey bumper.....Bedliner or bumper paint?:scratch:, bedlined the rear steps and the top part of the rear bumper, and bumper painted the grill and honeycomb.

I had heard that bedlining the bumper is a pain to clean, but it looks so dam sexy. and the bumper paint leaves room for error with my crappy rattle can skills. do you guys have a preference?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same x as you and I used dupli-color bed armor.It came out looking sharp only problem is;if you happen to have the misfortune to make contact with brush on some trail it seems to scrape off easier on the plastic part of the bumper.Ive started to peel off the front bumper to try again this time using a adhesive promoter.Im not sure this was the issue cause the metal panel in the rear bumper seems to be holding up

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just take off all the parts; the front has some screws and push clips that hold it in disassembles down to three parts.The rear breaks down to six individual parts,then again some people just mask off some or all the area around the bumpers which is quiker but not the best option.Wash the bumpers with dish soap;dawn to get off any residue from wax and any other substance that may be on them.Scotch brite the pieces to scuff them up which will help with the paint adhering to them.After scotching rinse them off with water and let them dry.I applied three coats of dupli-color bed armor p/n BAA2010 waiting twenty mins. between coats.More can be applied which I did on the rounded corners.If you click on my name then go into public profile scroll down to postings,page three you can see how it turned out

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I went with the rustroleum bedliner after all. It came out pretty good only problem was one of the cans I bought came out an off black color?? sort of a dark grey w/ a blue tint to it. Maybe a bad can because the lid was black, and it was the last can to fill in spots. So what I did was use the can to cover then went over with a few coats of fusion in satin black. turned out pretty well. It kind of toned down the roughness of the bedliner, also bedlined the step rails, the side steps on the rear bumper and that plastic portion on top of the rear bumber.

looks pretty good, only highlights my mistake doing the grill, not the best pic and the bumper is wet from spraying it off

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was bored yesterday so I bedlined the grill and painted the front burger. Couldn't find an exact color match, which was what I was going for, that or a metallic red of some kind but couldn't find that either but whatever. Anyways came out pretty good just not sure if I dig it or not. If it doesn't grow on me Ill just paint it black again =)

·
Registered
486 Posts
I like what you did with the rear bumper top plastic portion. This seems to fade badly over time and looks horrible. I may bedline mine from the look of yours. Have not tried removing it yet. Is it as easy as it looks in removing it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yup just some upwards pressure, it's just some tabs holding it in, and an update on the burger. Sanded off the light blue since I found a good body match paint, but after sanding and priming it still wasn't looking good ... So I said eff it and am ordering a zombie burger from 808 :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I like what you did with the rear bumper top plastic portion. This seems to fade badly over time and looks horrible. I may bedline mine from the look of yours. Have not tried removing it yet. Is it as easy as it looks in removing it?
IIRC, most spray-on bedliners need to be topcoated with UV protectant (or a different layer of paint), otherwise they'll will fade.

·
Registered
486 Posts
IIRC, most spray-on bedliners need to be topcoated with UV protectant (or a different layer of paint), otherwise they'll will fade.
Thanks for the tip. What do you suggest as far as name brands go?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts