Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate cross-posting on multiple boards but hopefully I can find the answer I need this way.

So I've searched, and searched, and searched, and searched, and...well you know. I can't for the life of me find out a definitive way to remove painted on pinstripes. Most places have said to take it to the body shop and have my arse ripped a new one from paying to have it done. If it comes to that, I won't do it. Plus when I was younger I worked at a car dealership and one of the sales managers had the pinstripping guy paint a little surfer dude on the back of his Suburban. Then when it was time to sell the truck the pinstripper just used something and wipe it right off. The painted decal had been there for atleat a year. I really wish I had asked him at that point what it was and retained it in my head for future reference.

Its not that it looks bad or anything, I just don't think I like it anymore. Well, if I kept the truck stock I would like it but when I lift it and add wheels I don't think it would flow the way I want to. Not to mention I didn't pay for it anyway so no loss on my part.

Anywho, the truck is new so I'm not worried about the paint underneath not matching. So how do I do this? I read that if its over the clearcoat (which it is) I can just use lacquer thinner, but how would this affect the paint? Someone also mentioned Goof-Off but is that strong enough? Help...

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Paint thinner would be my guess. The pin stripe is unfinished paint, and unlike the clear coat enamel, it will be rapidly eaten by the thinner.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the thinner won't harm my factory paint?

When it comes to paint, thinners, lacquers, and anything that has to deal with paint I'm a complete n00b. Ok, I think retard would be a better description.

·
on line
641 Posts
Go to a local body shop, show someone the truck and pinstripes, and ask if they sell any product that you could use to take them off.

If they do, great. If they say "hey, we can do it for you, and it is cheap", then maybe you can have them do it. If they say no, but just go buy a tin of X, then you know what to purchase.

You might want to try using Acetone.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
The make a adhesive removal wheel that sometimes works on pinstripes. A local body shop should be able to help you out. I would stop by a local body shop and see what they have to say.

·
on line
143 Posts
Peck, that's a touchy one...you could CAREFULLY use thinner as syndicate mentioned, little by little...if you did this, and did not affect the base color, a buff job afterwards would be a must...If the pin strip is over the Clear Coat, you can color sand(utilizing 1500-2000 grit and water) to remove it, but still a buff job is necessary...If it is the stripe tape and not paint, then it's easy...I would most certainly suggest you get advice from a trusted Body Shop....

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Xterraclamper said:
...I would most certainly suggest you get advice from a trusted Body Shop....
Yeah, I'd ask them first. It'd be in their benefit to tell you they need to work on it, so be weary of such a response.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grrr...not what I wanted to hear/read. :(

Tomorrow I'm going to apply some Goof Off to the inside edge of my tailgate and some diluted thinner to another spot. I want to see what it would do to the paint. I'll treat that area like I would treat the stripped area, wash/polish/wax, and see what happens over the next few days. If the factory paint is unharmed I'll try a VERY small spot on the pinstripping. If that doesn't work, I'll dig into my lift money and get it professionally done.

BTW, anyone have a bodyshop they could call and ask for me? I don't have one that I trust because I have never needed one. Nor have I ever had anyone other than me work on any of my past trucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts