Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I remembered someone writing a "how to" on painting the grill but I can't find it. There might not be one at all, so if anyone as done it or know where it is, let me know

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome, that thing looks mean as hell, what should I use to do it?? duplicolor??

***EDIT*** oops sorry didn't see the link that brutus had

·
on line
1,208 Posts
thats ok, im used to getting no love. especially since im not even in the states anymore.

lol there is a thread about taking off the bumper in the how to and then you can choose...... mark or me.

And no panzy ass im going to use both crap trying to not hurt our feelings.

jk :) i never saw that post he had put up, the pics make it look like a stock nissan patrol with a flat black bumber and chrome lights. sweet look.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
I spray painted the center part (that has the four angled things and the honey comb back with the hamburger) and then i sprayed the center lower part that some have the front license plate on. I only did those two parts, because they are that same silvery gray color, and the bumper is the flat grey color.

Here are before and after.

BEFORE: Note the center piece with the angled part in between the headlight and the lower center piece that has my license plate on it are a slivery gray color.

AFTER: Now that whole center is a dark gray, and the part that had my license plate on it is the same color, with no plate now.

It has a semi gloss to it that I did not know would happen that way, but i still think it came out ok.

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really want black, but I've got a granite X and just having the center grill painted black and the bumper the original color make make it not look too good, BUT if I hurculine the bumper it would probably look pretty good, give it some uniformity

·
on line
1,208 Posts
yeah, for you just painting that center piece will look wierd.

You might try the duplicolor spray in bed liner that people have been using for their wheels. (but i hear that stuff is not as tough as hurculiner, and will chip).

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might go see how much it's gonna cost to get the front bumper hurculined. If it's way too much I might just wait for the shrock. That's what I would like anyway, but man, those things are flippin expensive

·
on line
610 Posts
I also removed the front portion of the grill and painted it a slightly more brighter silver graphite color, used the bumper spray paint. Did it a few months ago and its held up great. I also installed the hella 500 driving lamps on the front grill, drilled holes into the 2 outside indentations on the grill, used some fender washers and bolts that came with the lights to secure them, solid as can be. Wired them up with the Toyota toggle switch inside the truck, fit and look is terrific. Couldnt be more pleased with the outcome, and I have this website to thank for a lot of great advice and detailed instructions. I gotta take some pictures and post.

·
on line
610 Posts
I also removed the front portion of the grill and painted it a slightly more brighter silver graphite color, used the bumper spray paint. Did it a few months ago and its held up great. I also installed the hella 500 driving lamps on the front grill, drilled holes into the 2 outside indentations on the grill, used some fender washers and bolts that came with the lights to secure them, solid as can be. Wired them up with the Toyota toggle switch inside the truck, fit and look is terrific. Couldnt be more pleased with the outcome, and I have this website to thank for a lot of great advice and detailed instructions. I gotta take some pictures and post.

·
on line
652 Posts
grille

just finished shooting mine

here is what I used and how I did it

1. remove the grill
2. wash it with dish soap in the tub
3 wash it again
4 dry it
5 wipe it down with prep solve or rubbing alcohol
6 scuff the whole thing with a scotchguard pad
7 wipe it down wth rubbing alcohol or prep solve
8 dry it
9 scuff it again
10 wipe it with prep or alchol.
11 allow it to dry do not touch the surface to be painted with your fingers
12 wear some rubber gloves
13 while its drying get your stuff together

Here is what I used
A. dupli color adhesion promoter
B. dupi color white the closest color to Avalanche in the large can (I used this as primer)
C. My color (avalanche) in the small can
D. Clear coat

shoot the adh. pro. first i layed on 3 coats until I was satisfied with the coverage
following the directions on the can it said to shoot the color within 10 min.
I used the large can of white as the primer and it took about three coats to cover about 10 min apart.
Then I laid on 2 coats of my color and followed up with 3 coats of clear

I am very happy with the results and have already had several people ask where I had it done
I like having some individuality

The mirrors may be next I hate not being able to wax them.

I hate the soul-glow look I feel the more you use products on black plastic the more you have to

26 years of detailing experience

1 - 18 of 18 Posts