Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
on line
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate bringing up negative issues, but has anyone had problems with their paint. A couple months ago I noticed little rust dots on my hatch. The outcome was getting the entire hatch stripped and repainted. The other day I washed and waxed my X and noticed what looks like the clear coat coming off the roof. What the hell is going on. 14,000 miles should not need all this repainting. Anyone else?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I finally cleaned my X by hand for the first time since I bought it (22K miles). I found the famous "pits" starting to form on the hatch. I'll be touching them up with por-15 and putting a few coats of wax on it. Hell, I can hardly see all the scatches in it...it's amazing.

It's been discussed that Nissan's paint is not the greatest. I would take it to the dealer and see what they say. It shouldn't be happening.

·
on line
559 Posts
I have rust spots in my engine bay. Should I have that addressed by the dealer? Or is the dealer going to give me grief?

·
on line
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dealer was good about it. They took pictures and sent them to Nissan. I then made an appt. and they took care of it. It is under warranty so take advantage of it.

·
on line
240 Posts
Where at on the rear hatch should I be looking for possible rust spots?

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I was hoping that they would have fixed this problem with them. This is a problem that has plaqued the first gens on the rear hatch. First that I have heard of it but it seems they didn't fix the issue that was going on with the first one.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I read on one of the forums the rear hatch is usually due to dust collecting on the hatch and that dust containing metallic particles that lead to the rust. Keep up on cleaning and you should hopefullt avoid this problem. Although I tend to agree that Nissan does not have the best paint....

·
on line
559 Posts
Anybody have pics of what the hatch rust looks like and where on the hatch I should look?

·
on line
1,884 Posts
It is just little tiny specs of rust. Anywhere on the rear hatch

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Most of the rust affected the little hump area on the first gen x's. I have some on my hatch but it due to backing into a tree. :D

·
on line
74 Posts
The first spot is appear on my hatch, just like my first gen X. The spot is near my glass, just in the curve of the metal. I'm not very proud of nissan.

Like the first time, i'll go to my dealer to know what to do.

·
on line
376 Posts
Im not sure if Frontiers got the same paint but i had a thread recently about my paint flaking off. I got half the truck repainted under warranty.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
I just reached 14000 miles on mine. I haven't seen any of the spots or rust you guys are talking about. But a wimpy little shopping cart put a massive crease and scratch in my passenger front door a couple months ago. THEY BARELY PAINT THESE VEHICLES. I got it rubbed out and used touch up paint on it. But there was like NO paint covering this thing. It was a fractions of a millimeter in thickness. The dude at the shop told me that that's how they paint em now,. Just barely. After seeing a shrock bumper in person, I'm ready to go and have my whole damn car powder coated.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
mcampana said:
I'm ready to go and have my whole damn car powder coated.
LOL, believe it or not, two weeks ago I called a local powder coater for pricing. He convinced me that while it would look badass, it'd cost about $2700, and it'd weigh like 200lbs.

·
on line
376 Posts
Thats terrible! I had about half that number of scratches after one ride I did and I spent about 5 hrs buffing them out.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
You think that's bad. Here's the other side. It's hard to see the huge scratch down the passenger side but it's there. I've got so many dents and dimples that they're too numerous to count. I guess you've figured I couldn't care less about my paint job. Oddly enough, I like it the way it is. :blackeye:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts