Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally got my skid plates in last week, so this week I decided to take them inside and paint them. Now, I thought I was doing great, until today. So far what I did was, I used prep-all to clean the metal first before painting. Then, I brushed on rustoleum primer. Today, I started brushing on the finish coat of the bedliner. I started cutting all the edges and while I was in the process I saw it started to react with the primer and now it looks like doo doo. What did I do wrong? Did I not give it enough dry time between primer and paint? Can I just let this dry, sand it smooth, and then redo the bedliner?

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
I'm anal...plus I want it to seal the skids so they don't rust. Now the paint is all cracky and its not sealing.

Let everything dry and cure.

Get bed liner in a spray can and hose the tops down. Let dry.

Flip over skids and repeat.

Bolt them up.

The tops won't ever be hit so you don't have to worry about them rusting. The bottoms will be chewed up and you lay on your back and spray them with bed liner once or twice a year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
822 Posts
I made the mistake of grabbing primer filler one time and didn't notice. I primed and painted as normal. Just some rustoleum flat black. I'm guessing the primer filler needed more time to cure than normal primer because like you experienced it started pulling the paint apart as it cured and it looked like a dried lake bed.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Too soon between coats. Plus, bedliner doesnt need a primer anyways, the rougher surface the better IMO.

All I would add is, let the bedliner cure for days on the skids before even trying to install them. If possible, days between sides. Because if you paint one side, flip and paint the other, whatever the first side was resting on (piece of scrap wood) it will peel off of like saran wrap when you lift it off.

I made the mistake of trying to mount my DepHep rack a day after painting it with bedliner. When I started loading it with tackle boxes and wood, it was scrapping off all over the place.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Too soon between coats. Plus, bedliner doesnt need a primer anyways, the rougher surface the better IMO.

All I would add is, let the bedliner cure for days on the skids before even trying to install them. If possible, days between sides. Because if you paint one side, flip and paint the other, whatever the first side was resting on (piece of scrap wood) it will peel off of like saran wrap when you lift it off.

I made the mistake of trying to mount my DepHep rack a day after painting it with bedliner. When I started loading it with tackle boxes and wood, it was scrapping off all over the place.

The thing to do is paint the bottom of the skids, wait an hour or two, then flip them over and paint the tops. Then let the tops fully cure (24 hours) hen install. Whatever gets messed up on the bottom just touch up after you install them. Then it takes 24 hours instead of a few days.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I ended up getting in touch with a buddy that just got a shop with a paint booth in it. I brought the skids down today and we sanded all the paint off the bottom surface of the skids, and prepped them, and sprayed some primer on. I bought some other bedliner paint that he can spray through a spray gun, and we're gonna put that stuff on tomorrow. This is looking like its gonna turn into OUR shop and I'm super stoked about it. I'll post pics of what it turns out like when I'm done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts