Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the paint all of a sudden started flaking off on my fronty. I was curious if any of you have had the same issues on your X. Heres some pics.

·
on line
204 Posts
I would definately be taking that back to the dealership and have it fixed. I haven't read all the fine print of the warranty, so is paint covered?

·
on line
335 Posts
good golly that's a big flake....

i know the frontiers have had more issues than xterras in that regard. (why? the hell if i know..)

good luck with the dealership.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Curious, are X's and Frontiers made at the same plant in TN? That would make a difference when it comes to things like paint.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Wow, that looks like a GM car of the late 1980's!

·
on line
335 Posts
muzikman said:
Curious, are X's and Frontiers made at the same plant in TN? That would make a difference when it comes to things like paint.
i believe they are made at the same plant...i don't really understand it..but browsing the frontier boards, i know they've had a lot more complaints about paint chipping/flaking...at least the earlier ones, dunno if the late 06/07s have the same problem.

its just not an issue that i see on the xterra boards at all. wierd...

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I went by the dealer and they didnt seem to care. All they said was the soonest they could look at it was the day after Christmas because they were booked. I'm gonna drive around and check other dealers w/in an hour and see if I can get it sooner. A little more flaked off while I was driving on the interstate. This is ridiculous.

·
on line
641 Posts
bwarren228 said:
Update: I went by the dealer and they didnt seem to care. All they said was the soonest they could look at it was the day after Christmas because they were booked. I'm gonna drive around and check other dealers w/in an hour and see if I can get it sooner. A little more flaked off while I was driving on the interstate. This is ridiculous.
Check the "Lemon Law" for your state. To me this sounds like a serious problem, and if it was my vehicle I'd start by demanding a new vehicle, because the only way to fix this sort of problem is to have the entire vehicle completely stripped and repainted, and in general I don't think that body shops can duplicate the quality of a (proper) factory paint job.

Remember, this flaking indicates a serious problem with the vehicle preparation or painting, and that includes the entire body, so the only way to fix this is to strip EVERYTHING out of the vehicle(i.e. engine, interior, etc.) to get it back to the way it was in the factory, then strip the existing paint, then start over. If that isn't done, parts of the paint that you maybe can't even see may be flaking off, leading to rust that you can't see.

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive found another dealer about 45 min from my house w/ a 6spd. crew cab se. Its no Nismo, but i'd really like a 6spd. Im gonna go talk to them tomorrow and insist that it get repainted, and then proceed to tell them how my truck will not be worth as much w/ a non-factory paintjob.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Sorry you've gotta deal with this PITA. Either way it works out, it's still going to be a hastle and a half.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just visited the other dealer and they were much more helpful. He took pictues and did a 'tape test' to have a sample. Basicly that just ripped alot more paint off. He is going to take that evidence and talk to Nissan directly on Monday to see what they will do about it. He was shocked when he saw it. Looking over the vehicle we found another spot where the paint had started to flake off. Heres updated pics of my primer Frontier

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, with my experence ??? --IT'S THE LIFT--

--Just kidding, I'm sorry for that situation, but it happens to all mfg. I hope Nissan covers this for you--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
246 Posts
That really does suck. The problem with the Lemon Law is that you need to give the dealer three chances to fix the problem before you can file for the Lemon Law, but that might just be Florida's Lemon Law. When you bough the Frontier they should have given you a Lemon Law book with your owners manual. As for the MT vs. AT, I have heard complains about the feel, so test drive one before you ask for one. One possibility about the paint on Frontier vs. the Xterra they don't share all the same colors, so it could just be those colors that the Frontier uses and the X doesn’t.

·
on line
279 Posts
Man, that really sucks! Hope the dealer gets Nissan to take care of you. BTW, what 2 dealers did you go to? Any members near you might like to know who will take care of them, and who won't.

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I first went to Pat Peck Nissan in Gulfport, MS. It is right across the parking lot from where i work and one of the service guys usually squeezes me in no matter when I show up and brings my keys back to me at work when they are done. He unfortunately no longer works there and the other guys didnt go out of their way to help me like he did.

I then went to Nissan of Slidell in Slidell, LA. The service manager was the most helpful of any service guy I've talked to. He really seemed to know what he was doing. He took pictures, a paint sample, and assured me that he would be on the phone with Nissan first thing Monday about my problem. I'll keep yall posted when I find out what they are going to do about it.

Oh, BTW neither of these dealers has said anything about my mods besides how good is looks.

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE::::::: Nissan called today and they are going to replace my fender temporarily. Meanwhile they will analyze the flaking fender to figure out what went wrong. Then they will decide what to do from there. Only problem is the dealers body shop is backed up for a couple weeks so I still have a little wait ahead of me. At least the ball is rolling though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts