Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Unless you strip it down and take it to a really good shop and spend way more than it's worth, repainting a new car is a real pain in the ass and never looks as good as factory.

Once mine gets really bad I'll probably bedline the entire things.

·
on line
429 Posts
Mine's a zebra pattern. Except the stripes are horizontal. I had it done for free, but it's taken about two years and it's not done yet.

·
on line
143 Posts
Paint is measured in "mils"...What might be your thought as to how thick it should be? If my memory serves me right, 4-7 mils is common......

·
on line
143 Posts
muzikman said:
Unless you strip it down and take it to a really good shop and spend way more than it's worth, repainting a new car is a real pain in the ass and never looks as good as factory.

Once mine gets really bad I'll probably bedline the entire things.
A re-paint job is only as good as the prep and paint process....It can be substantially better than factory or it can be a piece of shit...All up to the Painters prep and attention...

·
on line
1,831 Posts
A while ago I was looking into buying an M5. The salesman told me that a new M5 has more than 100lbs of paint on it... I'm not sure if I believe it though.

·
on line
853 Posts
syndicate said:
A while ago I was looking into buying an M5. The salesman told me that a new M5 has more than 100lbs of paint on it... I'm not sure if I believe it though.
If you're referring to a BMW M5, the guy across the street from me has a black one (or maybe its an M3?). Anyway, he spends a fair amount of time detailing it, and the paint is like a mirror. Same for his wife's black BMW X5. Both have better reflective qualitity than the bathroom mirrors in my house. Needless to say my black truck really looks like crap when they are all parked on the street close together. Those BMW paint jobs really are nice.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
mcampana said:
Frank B. Post a photo or your xterra. Id like to see what it looks like with the pin stripe...........unless thats sarcasm and you just scratched it really good!
Are you talking about Shodan?

If so, he was joking. He has what most in the area refer to as PA Pin Strip. Ie, tree branches, twigs, rocks, etc scratching the paint. Mine is real bad too but not as noticeable as his being black.

·
on line
844 Posts
100 pounds of paint is complete bullcrap. a gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds, a gallon of paint can't be much more than twice that, and a gallon of paint will paint a damn suburban. that guy is either retarded or a dealer.

·
on line
237 Posts
FrankB said:
my black truck really looks like crap
I disagree....thats impossible...its an X.

·
on line
62 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
100 pounds of paint is complete bullcrap. a gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds, a gallon of paint can't be much more than twice that, and a gallon of paint will paint a damn suburban. that guy is either retarded or a dealer.
I believe paint ways less than water, after all, it floats on top of water.

And a hundred pounds of paint on a car is a load of crap.

Vince :clown:

·
on line
143 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
You make a good point, but keep in mind not only paint is sprayed...You have Sealer, Primer, Paint and possibly Clear if it is 2 stage...but 100 lbs is a little dramatic... :drunken:

Oh and sometimes bondo....they do minor body work at the factory on occasion....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah right 100lbs of paint on a sports car. Water is like 8 pounds and some odd ounces and paint only weighs about 6-12 lbs depending on type paints.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts