Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so in anticipation of a road trip to Red Rock Canyon from Vancouver BC at the end of the month I pulled the wheels off to do a quick one over on the brakes. To my surprise the pads had quite a bit of meat on them still, but the rotors were quite eroded in and around the vanes. Does the second picture look overly problematic or is that fairly normal. I cannot find any firm documentation in the service records indicating the brakes have been serviced, but by the looks of this my guess would be the pads were replaced, but not the rotors.

I was only able to verify the outter PADS it was hard to see the inner ones, can I assume they'd be similar? I am guessing when a 'dealership/shop' does a visual on them they rely on the same queues from the outer pad?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I don't think it looks ideal but there is still a lot of metal there. Mine don't look like that at all because I don't live in a salt road area. That said I do think a replacement is probably in order.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Measure them with a micrometer and if you have enough left then you can get them turned. Most places here can do it via means of an on-car lathe. If not then you can replace them and go on. They should have turned them the last time that they replaced the pads.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Measure them with a micrometer and if you have enough left then you can get them turned. Most places here can do it via means of an on-car lathe. If not then you can replace them and go on. They should have turned them the last time that they replaced the pads.
I think the OP is more concerned with the internal corrosion.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct - doubtful that I would get these rotors turned, they don't inspire me with much hope for a bright future. Probably okay for a little bit still.

THanks!

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Not unusual for the inner pads to wear more than outter. That is the side being compressed by the piston and usually drag a little more on the rotor.

I pretty much never advise cutting rotors. Rotors are being made as thin as possible to save weight and cost. They almost always warp immediately after being turned.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Not unusual for the inner pads to wear more than outter. That is the side being compressed by the piston and usually drag a little more on the rotor.

I pretty much never advise cutting rotors. Rotors are being made as thin as possible to save weight and cost. They almost always warp immediately after being turned.
I had mine turned at my last brake job by Nissan around 30k ago and they aren't warped now.

What really warps rotors is driving through standing water when they're hot.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Were they warped to begin with? If you are just turning them to resurface for new pads you are fine. If you are turning them to cut the warp out then you will end up where you started fairly early.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts