Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for leather conditioner in your P4x??
Ive never used anything on my 2012 seats, but feel like I should.

I dont want something that will make the seats feel greasy or slippery AT ALL. Just want something that will help prevent cracking and such.

What products would you recommend??

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I work for a mixing console company and this is all we use for the leather palm rests that goes onto the mixing consoles. The stuff is awesome. It leaves no sticky/greasy residue after use.

We first use the cleaner to clean the leather then use the conditioner to leave the leather feeling soft.

And yes.. you can use it for any home or auto leather purposes. I've took some home and used it on my leather sofas and now my sofa feels gooooood :p

http://www.amazon.com/Lexol-0922-Leather-Care-Sponges/dp/B005446ECA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1412888143&sr=8-7&keywords=lexol+leather+conditioner

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Lexol cleaner and conditioner. You definitely need to clean your leather if you haven't yet. I pull my seats out of my '12 pro-4x about every 4-6 months to clean them and condition them monthly.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

The Lexol seems to get pretty good reviews. Just to check, the Lexol will not leave a film/shine/residue on the seats, correct??

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Posted via Mobile Device

How about the perf holes?
Any issues with the conditioner getting down in them and not wiping out?

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I have been happy with Griots Garage Leather Care. I am about to try their Leather Rejuvenator or neglected leather too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My good friend does interiors and he's always recommended saddle soap, apply as directed like on a saddle. To make it extra nice use mink oil. Although you'll have to use a towel for a couple days so the oil won't get on your clothes until it all soaks in. Best to let sit on hot days.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
"Do not use the old-timer products such as mink oil, neetsfoot oil, or saddle soap. Leather products today have become specialized - there are different chemicals used in the tanning process based on what the leather will be used for. In other words, the leather in your car seats is not processed the same as the leather in your jacket or the leather on your sofa."

This is true. I have heard of mink oil clogging the pores of the leather causing it to age and crack sooner.

·
Registered
192 Posts
"Do not use the old-timer products such as mink oil, neetsfoot oil, or saddle soap. Leather products today have become specialized - there are different chemicals used in the tanning process based on what the leather will be used for. In other words, the leather in your car seats is not processed the same as the leather in your jacket or the leather on your sofa."

This is true. I have heard of mink oil clogging the pores of the leather causing it to age and crack sooner.
It may? but mine feel/look amazing in my Camaro and haven't had issues. After using "specialized" it made it almost plastic feeling over time. Then after putting in ANOTHER set on my seats have never looked better using the same exact leather. Been 5 years now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
You have a good one then. But you shouldn't assume all leather conditioners are good for all leather.

Leather conditioner is great, but I personally think keeping the leather clean is even more important. Dirt gets down in the grain and sitting on it grinds the leather acting like a micro abrasive.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You have a good one then. But you shouldn't all leather conditioners are good for all leather.

Leather conditioner is great, but I personally think keeping the leather clean is even more important. Leather gets down in the grain and sitting on it grinds the leather acting like a micro abrasive.
Agree 100%
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 20 Posts