Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so, about a week ago i replaced the passenger side cat, cleared the P0420 code. then popped up a P2A00 supposedly the driver primary 02 sensor.. weird as i replaced that with a oem equivalent sensor 6 months to a year ago after doing that primary cat. So i started doing some research and it turns out that the secondary 02 sensor failing can actually cause that code to present, so i replaced that and it cleared the code. finally no more check engine light! until today driving home from work.. danm ses light popped up on the dash! so i get the code scanned and dangit if it aint P2A00 again! danmit! so, at this point, do i replace the primary again? or do you think that since i used a cheaper replacement for the secondary that that could be the issue?

not sure what to do next here.

oh yeah, ALso when they scanned it there was another code, C1163.. steering shaft angle or something. does this one actually cause the ses light to come on? nothing seems to be wrong with the steering. Ill get out tomorrow and check the steering colunm and tie rods and everything.. I have had a very slow and small PS leak, but it hardly leaks at all. maybe that is finally becoming an issue?

idk .. man this truck is testing me lately... nothing major, its just one little thing after the other, kinda to the point where I hardly trust it to go on my solo camping excursions.. sigh.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Kinda starting to think i should just listen to what the computer is telling me and replace the driver primary 02. I think i bought the first one from advance auto, so maybe they will replace it?? not sure how long ago it was really.

I also just ordered an OBDII reader. tired of having to drive to the auto part store and have them check..

get this crap, after work i decided to stop at auto zone and kindly ask them to check the codes. the freaking employee tells me that they cant do it after dark. it wont read right and we cant see the codes on the screen... me: "your kidding me right? I have a flashlight but the reader has a backlit screen anyways..... and im pretty sure it will work when its dark... look, you have a big light right out front ill pull up right there".. him" nope i cnat leave the store with the reader after dark". wow that is #$Y(#^%*(^& stupid! im pretty sure he just didnt want to do it.

anyways, make my way up to advance auto a few miles away and they dont even blink an eye and are helpful and friendly. this is why i prefer advance auto over auto zone.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't you mention in a recent post a small exhaust leak on that side? Did you ever get that fixed? Also, OEM equivalent doesn't necessarily mean OEM. Nut up and goto the dealer.
I guess i could see what the dealer part cost is.

I did have the exhaust leak welded up just a few days ago. but that was on the other exhaust bank( pass) I couldnt find one on the driver side.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
according to: https://parts.nissanusa.com/productSearch.aspx?searchTerm=o2 sensor 2005 xterra

o2 sensors are $272 for rear and $306 for front... I'm not looking to pony up that much. if thats the case and I have to start using OEM to repalce all these sensors that seem to be going out lately, i might as well have a new car payment along with the reliability that comes with it. and im really going to start looking at a replacement vehicle. 4runners arent seeming so expensive right now..

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the source of the confusion here is that PA200 is a Bank 1 code. That is the passenger side. Your PA200 is caused by your exhaust leak at the cracked weld.

Well f*in A!

but i had the exhaust leak fixed.. and code still there..

omg now none of this makes sense. why did the code go away when i replaced the driver rear o2? then came back a few days later.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i have an replacement primary o2 on the way, luckily they are the same for each side so ill replace the bank1(PASS!) primary and see if that does it.

feeling pretty dumb right about now!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the same code PA200 earlier and somehow it went away on its own without any intervention.
I dug up some posts about this in the past.

Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1
Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 harness is open or shorted
Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
Fuel pressure
Fuel injector
Intake air leaks

I believe the stock O2 sensor is Denso or NTK. They sell them on RockAuto.

You check for exhaust if you attach a leaf blower or a wet-dry vacuum to the tailpipe and blow air into the exhaust. Use soap water to find leaks. You can search this method on ChrisFix YouTube channel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I would check your long term fuel trims. If your primary O2 sensor is gone it should screw up your long term fuel trim on that side - either running rich or lean. Your long term fuel trim should be +/- 5%. It will throw a code at +/-20%, but since you don't have that I would check the actual trim. You can ignore short term fuel trims for all practical purposes.

If your fuel trims are in line, then its more than likely not your 02 sensor.

You should be able to see it in any of the OBD2 apps with a dongle, or one of the better stand alone analyzers.

Also, my OEM 02 sensors were Denso, and i got one from Rockauto for 65 bucks that works fine. And I wouldn't buy washer fluid from Rock Auto or Advance anymore. There 3x more expensive than online, sell only Chinese knock off's, and no one knows what there doing there anyway. At least the two here anyway.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got an obdII reader in the mail about an hour ago, gonna hook it up and see what happens.. idk probably wont be anything more than what i already know. Barring any revelation from the code read, my plan of attack is to replace the pass primary o2(p2A00), and give it a good look over for any exhaust leaks. Sensor arrives tomorrow... of course iill be at work all day until dark, so probably wont get around to replacing it until tuesday. Ill do the exhaust check today.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you cleared the code after the weld was fixed?

No, but wouldnt it clear itself if there is not longer a leak??

anyways, I got under it today with it running and sure enough there is a leak on that pass side exiting the primary cat. its at the bottom of the flange. I had 2 gaskets on there already, one of them was blown out. I think the root of the issue is that the cat exit flange and the exhaust inlet flange arent flush. I ordered some thicker and better all metal gaskets that im going to try and see if i can get it to flush up and seal.

So ill do the exhaust gaskets first, make sure its not leaking, and then clear the code.. if it does seal up and the P2a00 code comes back, then ill replace the o2 sensor and hope that clear it all up.

would you be concerned to drive it to work tomorrow? its like 20 miles round trip. i'd take my wifes tacoma but she has an appt during the day so she'll need it.

Also whats the difference between the "C" codes and "P" codes? when the advance auto person scanned it it showed both the p2a00 and a C1163, but the code reader i've got only shows the P one.

any idea what the difference is? I didnt have the slip or any other dash lights come on, so i really dont think there is an issue with the steering, (C1163 is steering angle input sensor) and it feels fine.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
One of my eastern cats didn't fit very well. I tightened the engine side first - making sure it was sealed, then dealt with the mis-alignment on the back side with these really thick exhaust gaskets. I believe someone here or clubfrontier pointed me to them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remflex-Exhaust-Gaskets-Mopar-Aplications-Universal-2-1-2-Pipe-2-Bolt-6005-/303315506241?hash=item469f035441

Still in there working. Maybe just lucky.

I wasn't sure they would hold so I also bought a really thick walker gasket. You can find all the available ones if you download the walker catalog. Anyway, haven't used it but I did buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AXBJ7E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the strange code. No idea - according to Nissan it doesn't exist - or at least isn't on the list.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have some thicker gaskets on the way. I cleared the code and it hasnt come back, but i only drove it a mile or two. Going to drive it to work tomorrow and see if ti comes back one. I have three thin flimsy gaskets on there right now... if i get on the throttle i can hear them flapping as the gas escapes lol... so thats clearly not going to work as is.

thanks for the help fellas!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was getting the P2A00 for several months. Swapping the primary cat (Eastern), the A/F sensor (OEM type) and the O2 sensor (OEM type) didn't help. The passenger side A/F sensor consistently reads 0.3 at idle, compared to 0.6 for the driver side A/F sensor.

I was wondering if the secondary cats were clogged so I removed them to check them. They both had minor amounts of debris in them, possibly left over from the manufacturing process. After reinstalling the secondary cats, I disconnected the battery to reset the ECU. It has been over 10000 miles and the P2A00 has not returned. I am guessing that the joint between the primary and secondary cats were not sealed well enough leading to a small leak.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts