Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. water, mud, sunk past headlights. drove home great. next day drove fine then all of a sudden i lose all throttle. get out clear the code and pull the battery. works for 2 minutes. i do it again. works for 2 minutes and again till i get home.

cleaned the throttle body really well all seems well now.

is there anything else i should be concerned about. i cant figure out if sinking it actually made that happen. i have a snork so its not like anything got into the intake. the tube and everything was perfectly clean. i did also notice that the maf sensor plug was very dirty and maybe i should give it a good clean.

silicone spray everything?

·
on line
8,599 Posts
I went through some stuff over the hood once. It fried my throttle body.
But I did suck in some water. Muddy water made it all the way to the TB.
It actually messed up the throttle position censor and it would be fine for a mile or so then just stop. I would have to pull the neg, then It would do the same thing.
If its throwing a code then scan it and find out what it is.

If it keeps doin it and it says the throttle position censor then pull you TB and drill out the rivets on the side plate. See if you can clean up and lube the inside. It may help. Mine somehow got muddy water inside that plate and gummed up the operation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does seem like the throttle body gets stuck sometimes. I cleaned it really well which seems to have fixed that. When the code happens again I just pull the batt and the maf sensor harness so I think that connector may need to cleaned well. There may be some corrosion in there.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
^ ha!

Sorry to hear it man. Temp screwed up my tranny plugs by accidentally gong too deep. Sadly these things arn't carbed jeeps. Electrical problems up the ass when wet

Check all of your electrical connections unplug and replug them all back in spray every single one with cleaner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wasn't from that hole. Kind of dried up a little and it's traversable now. This was from a different one but I didn't make it through eventually with a little shifting back and forth.

Updates: every single time I start my cars it's in limp mode with the same code. So I have to shut it off. Use my bullydog to clear the code. Start the car and it works fine. No issues at all. Until I turn it off again and it happens again. Only thing I can think of is either the maf, the maf plug. The throttle body plug. Or the throttle body sensor.

I guess best bet would be triple check the harness. Then replace throttle body then replace maf.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pretty sure i found the problem. the throttle body butterfly valve is now seized and stuck open. its very difficult to push it by hand it will not return to closed position. will be buying a new throttle body come tuesday.

what could have caused this? could this have been from water/mud or is this just an age problem?

·
on line
2,233 Posts
When you get the new one installed, do an autopsy on the old one. No point in asking us to guess. You have the failed part in hand. Take it apart yourself. Don't worry about breaking it, it is already broken and junk. What's the worst you could do to it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts