Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Have a 2005 X base 2wd that I have owned since new. 176K miles. Love my truck. Always been up on preventative maintenance... trans cooler bypass and timing chain tensioner before they were issues etc. In the last week and a half my truck has gone into limp mode 3 times on the freeway. Coast to the side and after 2-5 restarts still in limp mode it starts fine and stays fine for another couple of days. Leaves P0605 as its only code (which I read and clear usually immediately.) After the second time I checked the wiring and ground next to the battery, cleaned and tightened the battery cables (battery about 1.5 years old) unplugged and cleaned the connections to the ECU with electrical contact cleaner hoping it was a minor connection or short issue. It has been rainy and cold in LA. 3 days of driving were fine (close to 100 miles) then it happened again this AM. I'd hate to go through getting a new (or reman) ECU and the programming necessary to get it to work with my truck to find it is a simple short somewhere else... just not sure how to go about something so intermittent.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, So I took the truck to a mechanic I trust... he says that its definitely the ECM and wants 1300 for a new one including installation/programming. I took a chance and picked up a used ECM ($200) from the same year/model (same number on the ECM and checks out as fitting my options when I check online...) Cranks but no start. At this point I'm assuming its the immobilizer. What is necessary to program the ECM to work with my keys? Also I assume that the VIN stored in the ECM needs to be changed in order to smog test here in sunny California...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, just to close the loop in case anyone is reading these I took the used ECM to the dealership (after removing the lower ECM bolt so replacement was super easy) and they were able to reprogram it to my car ($185). Starts and runs great with my regular keys. I'm assuming my intermittent limp mode and memory error will be gone... but will update if it returns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts