Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Xterra S
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past spring my 2010 S AT with 150k threw a major leak code (0444?). I replaced the gas cap with an OEM. Code quickly came back so I cleaned out the evap canister and replaced the purge valve. In a week it threw P0442 (small leak).

At this point I’m thinking a smoke test is the only way I’ll find the cause but have never done one before so was hoping someone who has could provide some pointers. Or if there are other things to check before I go that route?

Pete

PS: Did a search first but those threads were pretty old and it’s bad form to resurrect them

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since you already replaced the purge valve you can rule that out. Next would be the vent valve. It opens when the car is off so when you fill the tank the air has a place to go. If you pull it off to test it, you would have to add power to it so it would be closed when you blow into it.

A smoke test will tell you if a line is cracked that you can't see with your eyes.

In the years I worked on cars, only Dodge brand cars with that hard plastic lines had that issue. 99% of all others were the purge or vent valve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I strongly recommend doing a smoke test. However, you need a bidirectional scan tool to close the vent valve or you have to back probe the vent valve to do this.

I have a 2014 Pro4x and I had 2 evap leaks a couple years ago. I fired the parts cannon by replacing gas cap and vent control valve. Neither leak was fixed. I bought a $80 smoke machine from ebay and leak tested it. One was a large leak from nonservicable vent line on side of fuel tank. I could smell after filling at pump. I MacGyvered a fixed for this using $5 of emissions line and 2 hose clamps. The small leak was from another line above frame rail, but I was able to order that part from dealer.

Best of a luck!
Hood Data transfer cable Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Motor vehicle Grey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts