Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first of all hello everyone, I have been AWOL for a while but I'm back.

I had the code pop up on my X (2008) and have been trying to troubleshoot the issue to no avail, I have tried clearing the code but it comes back (unpredictably) Amy hints or tricks?

·
on line
504 Posts
Try unplugging all 4 of your o2 sensors, spray them with oil and plug back in. Disconnect your battery for a couple of minutes. This may help. It worked for me before.

·
on line
2,069 Posts
The code references an inefficiency in the cat. Your O2 sensors are fine. I wouldnt take a chance on the oil thing. You can also run fuel injector cleaner in your gas. It will burn a little hotter and may causenthe light to go out temporarily. I went through both sets on my x twice when I had it. I also drove about 60k miles on the first set as they didn't seem to be clogged. When I pulled them there was no breakdown of the material visibly. That being said, there have been a few that had the cats break up and pieces get sucked into the engine which is not good. I believe all of those cases were premature failure though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
750 Posts
I agree although mine fried at around 150K but never threw a 0420 code. I've read that code can also supposedly be a leak in the exhaust manifold or malfunctioning O2 sensors.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I've had that code twice, and both times it was my cat that was replaced - once at 60K miles (under warranty), and then again at 130K miles (I installed it myself). Both times that was the only thing that was replaced, and both times the code went away after the replacement.

·
on line
504 Posts
Yes I understand what the code means, but I did however unplug my o2 sensors, ( all 4 ) and sprayed the connections with Rustcheck. Any spray oil will work. I then plugged them back in and code never came back. Maybe it was just because I unplugged my battery....

They will throw codes if moisture gets inside the connectors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts