Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first of all hello everyone, I have been AWOL for a while but I'm back.

I had the code pop up on my X (2008) and have been trying to troubleshoot the issue to no avail, I have tried clearing the code but it comes back (unpredictably) Amy hints or tricks?

·
on line
504 Posts
Try unplugging all 4 of your o2 sensors, spray them with oil and plug back in. Disconnect your battery for a couple of minutes. This may help. It worked for me before.

·
on line
2,069 Posts
The code references an inefficiency in the cat. Your O2 sensors are fine. I wouldnt take a chance on the oil thing. You can also run fuel injector cleaner in your gas. It will burn a little hotter and may causenthe light to go out temporarily. I went through both sets on my x twice when I had it. I also drove about 60k miles on the first set as they didn't seem to be clogged. When I pulled them there was no breakdown of the material visibly. That being said, there have been a few that had the cats break up and pieces get sucked into the engine which is not good. I believe all of those cases were premature failure though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
750 Posts
I agree although mine fried at around 150K but never threw a 0420 code. I've read that code can also supposedly be a leak in the exhaust manifold or malfunctioning O2 sensors.

·
on line
504 Posts
Yes I understand what the code means, but I did however unplug my o2 sensors, ( all 4 ) and sprayed the connections with Rustcheck. Any spray oil will work. I then plugged them back in and code never came back. Maybe it was just because I unplugged my battery....

They will throw codes if moisture gets inside the connectors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts