Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
1,000 Posts
Now after wheeling a few weeks ago I’ve got the P0340 code, so I’ll be replacing both sensors soon.

For anyone that’s tackling this here’s a great install video for both c shaft sensors:

Ry the Car Guy - How to Replace Cam Position Sensors

And FWIW, I would recommended subscribing to him on YT. He’s got some good Xterra content on his channel.
Good timing too, I think that's @rythecarguy's most recent Xterra video.

What mileage are you at?

·
on line
238 Posts
I replaced both of my sensors this past Saturday and it took a couple of hours, but I wasn't in a hurry. The worst part is my forearms looked like ground beef afterwards from scraping on crap back there. Like others in this thread have said, I found it much easier to lay on top of the engine and reach around the back of the engine with both arms. Of course the passenger side was harder, especially getting the clip off. I pulled the bolt off carefully (10mm), then routed the wire and intact clip and sensor to the side where I could get a pair of pliers on it to get it to release. For the drivers side I basically crawled up into the engine bay and it was much quicker.

Anyway, I was surprised how much power the engine had on my test drive later. I don't know how much the ECM cuts the power with this error code, but it sure felt like I got 40-50 HP back!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 08 died in traffic yesterday, glad it was in a CVS parking lot and not the middle of a busy street!! Slow to restart then it has the SES light but it got me home. Error code P0340 shows on the scanner.

2 weeks ago I had replaced the cam position sensor on the driver's side, the angled one, thinking this was Bank 1 but in this case, the position is read from the REAR of the engine so bank 1 is the passenger side, not the driver's side. i have a spare engine which already saved me the $90 price of the angled sensor so let's cross the fingers and hope the straight one on the other bank is also good... $37 if it doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
676 Posts
My 08 died in traffic yesterday, glad it was in a CVS parking lot and not the middle of a busy street!! Slow to restart then it has the SES light but it got me home. Error code P0340 shows on the scanner.

2 weeks ago I had replaced the cam position sensor on the driver's side, the angled one, thinking this was Bank 1 but in this case, the position is read from the REAR of the engine so bank 1 is the passenger side, not the driver's side. i have a spare engine which already saved me the $90 price of the angled sensor so let's cross the fingers and hope the straight one on the other bank is also good... $37 if it doesn't fix it.
Just an FYI, Rock Auto has the Hitachi ones for about $45.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mine started giving me issues and the P0340. I plan on replacing both today after work.
I said it before I'll say it again. Thank God for this site!!!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I inherited my brothers 2007 Nissan Frontier 125,000 miles after he passed away, so this truck is pretty special to me. I've received the P0340 code too many times to count after the truck dies while I'm driving, sometimes its been pretty dangerous. I've replaced the sensors probably four times on my own, mistakenly with the plastic ones first followed by several pairs of the metal sensors. I've taken it to the Nissan dealer about three hours away and after they replaced the sensors, it died on the way home, so I was able to take it back and they replaced them again with metal sensors, it lasted about three months and now its throwing P0340 codes again. This is the only real mechanical issue I've had with this truck. I really want to be able to have this truck fixed and not worry every time I get in to drive it "Is it going to die on me while I'm going 50 mph on the highway?" I'm kind of at a loss, is there anything else that could be causing the P0340 error code I feel like having changed the sensors so many times idk what else to do, and I need this truck to be able to work, but it's dangerous and I don't want to crash and hurt myself or others.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
676 Posts
Going through that many sensors, especially if they are OEM ones I would look at replacing the connectors and checking the wires. No way it should be eating sensors like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Going through that many sensors, especially if they are OEM ones I would look at replacing the connectors and checking the wires. No way it should be eating sensors like that.
You think it would be worth replacing the ECM and the trying to replace the whole engine wiring harness? I asked a local mechanic about the problems, and he said mechanics will want to mess with weird electrical issues. How difficult of a job would it be to do, and is there anyway the timing is throwing the sensors off ?

·
Banned
756 Posts
You think it would be worth replacing the ECM and the trying to replace the whole engine wiring harness? I asked a local mechanic about the problems, and he said mechanics will want to mess with weird electrical issues. How difficult of a job would it be to do, and is there anyway the timing is throwing the sensors off ?
I had a whole thing written up about cheap sensors but then I see you had the dealership replace them all, so I assume they used OEM parts (duh).

One common electrical problem in the early Xterra's/Frontiers/Pathfinders/Titans was in the IPDM (basically the fuse/relay block under the hood, passenger side). Basically, the early versions, which were all white, fail at a very high rate. Corrosion gets into the relays and ruins them. The fix is to replace with a newer black IPDM made for the '09's and up. See this thread for more info. However, I've never heard of anyone getting a cam sensor code because of it, I just don't know. But it's a very common fail point and wouldn't be a bad idea to swap out. You can get them for around $250 from Nissan. I got very lucky and found one on Craigslist for $80.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a whole thing written up about cheap sensors but then I see you had the dealership replace them all, so I assume they used OEM parts (duh).

One common electrical problem in the early Xterra's/Frontiers/Pathfinders/Titans was in the IPDM (basically the fuse/relay block under the hood, passenger side). Basically, the early versions, which were all white, fail at a very high rate. Corrosion gets into the relays and ruins them. The fix is to replace with a newer black IPDM made for the '09's and up. See this thread for more info. However, I've never heard of anyone getting a cam sensor code because of it, I just don't know. But it's a very common fail point and wouldn't be a bad idea to swap out. You can get them for around $250 from Nissan. I got very lucky and found one on Craigslist for $80.
Yes I made the mistake early on getting the older plastic sensors, but swapped out to the metal newer ones and eventually the same error code ends up getting thrown when it dies while I'm driving. Thanks for that link I'll read up on the IPDM. I just wonder if replacing the full engine wiring harness, the ECM, maybe the IPDM, and brand new metal camshaft and crankshaft position sensors world fix it or if there's something else causing the shafts position timing to be off. I'm not super technical but I have been able to swap out these sensors. How complicated is installing a new wiring harness, since the local mechanic kind of suggested they has no interest in trying to track down weird electrical issues

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
How complicated is installing a new wiring harness, since the local mechanic kind of suggested they has no interest in trying to track down weird electrical issues
Complicated enough that you only want to do it when the vehicle is lying on the side of the road, all four tires in the air, gasping its last breath and choking. ;)
Seriously, if it runs a while after replacing the sensors it isn't a wiring problem. I'd bet the IPDM is the source of your troubles.

·
Banned
756 Posts
Yes I made the mistake early on getting the older plastic sensors, but swapped out to the metal newer ones and eventually the same error code ends up getting thrown when it dies while I'm driving. Thanks for that link I'll read up on the IPDM. I just wonder if replacing the full engine wiring harness, the ECM, maybe the IPDM, and brand new metal camshaft and crankshaft position sensors world fix it or if there's something else causing the shafts position timing to be off. I'm not super technical but I have been able to swap out these sensors. How complicated is installing a new wiring harness, since the local mechanic kind of suggested they has no interest in trying to track down weird electrical issues
When you say "swapped out to the metal newer ones", what brand are you talking about? If not OEM or Hitachi, you're still installing crap parts. I work from home and have a very UNdemanding job, so I have the time to thoroughly research things and everything I've found says that if it's not OEM or Hitachi, it's junk.

Swapping out the ECM, IPDM and harness seems VERY overkill and in my opinion, you run the risk of it turning out to be a $40 sensor that would have taken 20 minutes to swap out.

Swapping out the IPDM, if you still have the white one, should be on your list of things to do so why not. Pop the cover of the IPDM and you'll see immediately which one you have. If it's white, I'd strongly recommend replacing it. I recently bought my 2nd Xterra and it had problems starting. It would just crank and crank and start every 5th or so time. I swapped out the IPDM and it's run perfectly every time since (about 2 months now).

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you say "swapped out to the metal newer ones", what brand are you talking about? If not OEM or Hitachi, you're still installing crap parts. I work from home and have a very UNdemanding job, so I have the time to thoroughly research things and everything I've found says that if it's not OEM or Hitachi, it's junk.

Swapping out the ECM, IPDM and harness seems VERY overkill and in my opinion, you run the risk of it turning out to be a $40 sensor that would have taken 20 minutes to swap out.

Swapping out the IPDM, if you still have the white one, should be on your list of things to do so why not. Pop the cover of the IPDM and you'll see immediately which one you have. If it's white, I'd strongly recommend replacing it. I recently bought my 2nd Xterra and it had problems starting. It would just crank and crank and start every 5th or so time. I swapped out the IPDM and it's run perfectly every time since (about 2 months now).
The original sensors i received were the older OEM plastic sensors that had what i would describe as a plastic domino on one side and rectangle on the other
, and was told to replace with the newer metallic sensors that are smooth.

Can you give me a link to the the OEM sensors you recommend? I just went and looked at my IPDM and it is the white one. would you also have a link for that?

·
Banned
756 Posts
Camshaft sensor:
Nissan: 23731-6J90D, 23731-AL61D
Hitachi: CPS0008 (right), CPS0005 (left)

Crankshaft sensor:
Nissan: 23731-EA20D

IPDM: 284B6-ZE03B (IPDM doesn't seem to matter what manufacturer it is. I went with an unknown brand and it's working perfectly and I haven't heard of any other brands not working.)

Parts diagram

·
Registered
6 Posts
Camshaft sensor:

Crankshaft sensor:

IPDM: 284B6-ZE03B (IPDM doesn't seem to matter what manufacturer it is. I went with an unknown brand and it's working perfectly and I haven't heard of any other brands not working.)

Parts diagram
Thanks so much. I'll put together an order for the 2 Camshaft sensors, and the 1 Crankshaft sensor. Trying to track down the IPDM looks like one on Amazon.
I

·
Registered
86 Posts
Camshaft sensor:

Crankshaft sensor:

Parts diagram
Also, and I for sure may be wrong, but isn’t a new cover also required for the updated ipdm? Pretty sure I can recall that being a thing. The white ipdm cover not fitting exactly on the black ipdm. Anyone able to verify that info?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also, and I for sure may be wrong, but isn’t a new cover also required for the updated ipdm? Pretty sure I can recall that being a thing. The white ipdm cover not fitting exactly on the black ipdm. Anyone able to verify that info?
Actually I think I was able to answer my own question. Here is just a single article calling out the need to replace the cover too:

The part number called out in that thread is found here:

101 - 120 of 124 Posts