Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is the other accessible through the wheel well I noticed it threw the same code twice but didn’t know there were two any help is appreciated I’d like to get this pos out of my shop

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Is the other accessible through the wheel well I noticed it threw the same code twice but didn’t know there were two any help is appreciated I’d like to get this pos out of my shop
You can access it from over the engine, I don't remember which one you changed but the passenger one is just below the pcv valve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve now changed both sensors and is still doing the same is there anything else that will throw this code other than the plug in harness

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I’ve now changed both sensors and is still doing the same is there anything else that will throw this code other than the plug in harness
The one on the passenger side - sort of behind the coil bucket - is the crankshaft sensor. Are you sure you replaced both CAM sensors - or maybe did the crank sensor by accident.

Both CAM sensors are on the back of the engine - one on each head on the back.

If you did both sensors, AFAIK that error code is the sensor, the wiring, possibly the ECM, or the magnet on the CAM fell off (never heard of that last one, but I suppose anything is possible).

M

·
NewX’er 4life
2,537 Posts
I'm not saying this is the same reason for your code, but it might help seeing as you have changed both sensors now. Last weekend we had an Xterra just out of the blue throw the crankshaft position sensor code and it ran real rough (we didn't move it but it idled bad). I'm not sure what the other codes were, but I remember that camshaft was one. This was after a full day of wheeling and we were back at camp.

After an overview an apprentice mechanic at Nissan (the guy's nephew) said to just change the oil as they've seen a few older Frontiers, Pathfinders and Xterras get crud in the valves which messes up the VVT and throws the code or something along those lines.

The guy changed the oil and it ran rough still. It was late in the day so they called it a night. The next morning they started the Xterra up and everything was perfect. Whatever issue in the VVT was fixed by the oil change. I was not there for the oil change but it was pretty dark apparently.

·
on line
809 Posts
As if the truck knew I was planning a 500 mile road trip this weekend the truck threw this code last night. I just got done changing the passenger bank sensor and allow me to say

**** that sensor, **** that clip, **** sharp stamped brackets, **** electrical **** on the back of the engine, and godspeed to my little 10mm deepwell socket, you will be missed.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
As if the truck knew I was planning a 500 mile road trip this weekend the truck threw this code last night. I just got done changing the passenger bank sensor and allow me to say

**** that sensor, **** that clip, **** sharp stamped brackets, **** electrical **** on the back of the engine, and godspeed to my little 10mm deepwell socket, you will be missed.
Passenger side is the worst of the two haha.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just replaced both sensors in my 2005 Xterra due to the P0340 code....everything works better now but still have the code and a slight hard starting.....
I keep seeing pictures of a third sensor when I looked to buy new ones....is there actually a third location other than the one on the driver side top and the passenger side behind the wheel. I did find out that there are actually 3 sensor versions but can't find that third location

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
The one on the passenger side - sort of behind the coil bucket - is the crankshaft sensor. Are you sure you replaced both CAM sensors - or maybe did the crank sensor by accident.

Both CAM sensors are on the back of the engine - one on each head on the back.

If you did both sensors, AFAIK that error code is the sensor, the wiring, possibly the ECM, or the magnet on the CAM fell off (never heard of that last one, but I suppose anything is possible).

M
so there is actually 3 locations ?

·
TNX Veteran
545 Posts
I'm sitting on the side of the freeway because my bank 1 camshaft sensor just pushed up daisies. From what I'm reading, it's a simple fix, no? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and have a host of ragtag tools since I did my rear timing chain oil gallery gasket my self (saved 2400 schmeckles)... Any ideas which brand is most notably more reliable? And obs I should change both sides even though one side failed, right?

And the crankshaft sensor... May as well replace that sucker too right?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I'm sitting on the side of the freeway because my bank 1 camshaft sensor just pushed up daisies. From what I'm reading, it's a simple fix, no? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and have a host of ragtag tools since I did my rear timing chain oil gallery gasket my self (saved 2400 schmeckles)... Any ideas which brand is most notably more reliable? And obs I should change both sides even though one side failed, right?

Super easy to change those out. Easier on a cooled down engine though. Crankshaft pos sensor is easy to get to if you pull the passenger wheel and fender liner.

·
on line
22,508 Posts

Go OEM. I tried 2 cheaper ones and had multiple failures. Finally went OEM and problem free since.

·
TNX Veteran
545 Posts
Go OEM. I tried 2 cheaper ones and had multiple failures. Finally went OEM and problem free since.
Yeah I was afraid that would be the case. Lol. Heading to Nissan in the morning to see if they'll have some. Home safe and sound researching for the weekend. 12oz at a time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all new here. Just bought an 06 and got this code on my way home from the DMV. Kinda started regreting the purchase. Anyways...

Bought the sensor and installed it, cannot get the pigtail to clip in. Thinking I might have broken it. This common occurrence?
The sensor I removed had no markings on it thinking it might had been replaced before.

Saw they sell the clips on Amazon is that my next move?

Cheers
Duvi

·
on line
238 Posts
Now after wheeling a few weeks ago I’ve got the P0340 code, so I’ll be replacing both sensors soon.

For anyone that’s tackling this here’s a great install video for both c shaft sensors:

Ry the Car Guy - How to Replace Cam Position Sensors

And FWIW, I would recommended subscribing to him on YT. He’s got some good Xterra content on his channel.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts