Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my X just died while driving. It started back up just fine and drives fine. But I have a check engine light. Stopped by the trusty pepboys to check the code and it is my camshaft position sensor. Anyone have this go bad? Anyone have experience with this? I just got home and haven't started Lookin into it but my extended warranty isnt gonna cover it. I wonder how much this is gonna cost me :-(

·
on line
5,042 Posts
Can you at least do it yourself?

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you at least do it yourself?
Not sure. I got a print out of a pict but it doesn't look right. How can I find a pict of where they are located? The one that is bad is the bank1. Does anyone know what side that is? I think I might have located the sensor and I'm praying that bank1 is the drivers side cause its pretty easy to get to. That's if I'm Lookin at the right sensor. Oh and I'm scoring a new sensor for cost so it's only gonna be $70!!!!!!

·
on line
437 Posts
A friend of mine had this same problem on his '05 Pathy a few months ago. Wonder if this is going to become a known issue? :(

·
on line
1,296 Posts
Looking at the pic, Its the back side. Those are the collant lines.
Andy if you need help, Let me know.

·
on line
115 Posts
One of my sensors went at 2,500 miles. Drove it about 10 miles to the dealer with the engine sputtering and misfiring. One new sensor and two new cats later, all is well. Don't attempt to drive it until the sensor is replaced.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine died and did the same thing as yours. I had multiple other issues though, so I took it to the dealer for repair. Initially stalled once or twice over a few weeks then it was once daily. In my case (an 05 SE) the VDC and SLIP lights would always come on with a thud before the stall occurred.

Cost me some serious cash.....

·
Registered
918 Posts
OK mine crapped out as well. I got the sensor, looked at the diagram and position of the sensor. I have two questions. I can't see jack back there. I am reaching back there but can't seem to feel it never mine see it. Second even if I do find it. how the heck do you get a tool back there to remove the bolt? How did you guys get at the sensor?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Alright I located it. But yeah seriously how do I get the bolt out. Damn this is going to suck. If I am correct the release for the clip is facing downwards. Is that correct?

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A little late but yes the clip is facing down. At least on the passenger side one. That clip is very weird and it actually slides/pushes along the connector. It's hard to explain and that the biggest problem I had. Also the fact that they put a ton of grease on the connector so it creates a suction and makes it hard to pull out. As for the bolt/nut that's holding it on. I used a stubby wrench and turned it bit by bit.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts