Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep throwing a code P0304, happens about every 2-3 weeks. It seems to happen during startup when the engine is cold. She will run rough for about 3-5sec and then the idle smooths out, but my check engine light comes on...

I did some searching and only found a couple things...

- check the coil pack and ensure it is not loose, and maybe the spark plugs.

I was not exactly sure which cylinder was #4 so I checked all of them (except the one on the passenger side under the intake.) Can anyone point me to which cylinder is #4?

I also have NEVER changed the spark plugs and I am pushing about 105K miles. I was thinking about doing a plug change...any specific plugs that are recommend. I have been using platinum plugs in most of my other cars, but they are all older.

One other thing to note...about 60k miles ago, I had the dealer replace my timing belt under the TSP for the secondary tensioner sound issue. When they were putting it back together, they didn't do something right, and had to have the head on the driver’s side rebuilt, with new valves. Their story was that the cam slips and the valves hit the piston. I really hope this is not fall out from that, but thought to mention it.

Anything else to check?? Also, is there anything else that should be replaced as regular maintenance during a spark plug change?

Any help would be great...

thx

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I'm on my phone and not completely awake for my Saturday but off the top of my head I was almost positive that that code was for a primary catalytic converter.

Edit: nope, you were right. I must have been remembering a different code.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,620 Posts
at 100k miles your spark plugs are due. However, a lot of times, misfire could happen because of the coils as well.

I would first, move around the coils and see what happens. Move coil from cyl 4 with coil from cyl3 and see if the misfire goes to cyl 3. that way you could confirm if your cyl4 coil is going bad.

CHeers!

·
on line
2,044 Posts
before replacing spark plugs with the ngk type, i would run 1/3 seafoam through your brake booster line and turn engine off for 5 to 10 mins. then start and keep idle at 2,000 while white smoke clears...
couple of hours later change the spark plugs with engine block cool

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do the seafoam treatment as your suggest...

Can someone confirm the firing order?? Which cyllinder is #4??

Also, NSK is what I should use as a replacement...any certain "model" of NSK plugs??

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
When you do the seafoam treatment, do you pour the 1/3 to the brake booster with the engine off or running?

I did the seafoam on my previous Xterra and a friend was pressing the gas so that the engine didnt choke, I dont know if I have to do it the same way or if it can be done with the engine off then letting it sit for a couple of minutes, then run the engine... Can you please advise

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
When you do the seafoam treatment, do you pour the 1/3 to the brake booster with the engine off or running?

I did the seafoam on my previous Xterra and a friend was pressing the gas so that the engine didnt choke, I dont know if I have to do it the same way or if it can be done with the engine off then letting it sit for a couple of minutes, then run the engine... Can you please advise

Thanks

Ramiro

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know when I do my Honda civic..the engine is running and you slowly pour it in the vac line to the brake booster. Yes, the engine sputters...you just do it slowly. I was going to do it the same way....

·
on line
2,044 Posts
cylinder 4 is the middle spark plug on the right when standing in front of engine compartment

1.3 of sea foam through brake booster line..... a simple stream, not a river should be poured.... have a helper keep engine from dying.. shut engine for 5 to 10 mins..

on my repair manual it says 2005 to 2007 ngk plfr5a 11
2008 ngk dilfr5a11

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was doing some more searching and wanted to confirm that I have the firing order correct..

Driver side front to back: 1-3-5
Pass side front to back: 2-4-6

Thx again for the help

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I was almost positive that that was not the order, but I cannot find any evidence to the contrary now. Maybe I was just making it up in my head.
Sorry to be totally helpless here, I'm continuing to look for the firing order to see if I can find the thread I thought I had seen.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
This is not the thread I was looking for, but here is a differing account.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?p=876949

EDIT: from everything I can find online as well, AZ-Ted's diagram appears to be correct, so Xterramex's post was right on that cylinder 4 would be the middle one on the right when standing in front of the engine bay looking in.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts