Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
New England Regional Moderator
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I had to go out a help a couple friends extract their stuck rigs from the trail with 2 feet of snow on the ground. Right after I got the first rig unstuck the SES light started flashing and the X was running really rough. So as the title suggest what could cause it to throw a misfire code? Bad gas?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
P0300 Random Misfire code, when the SES light flashes it means the catalyic converters could be damaged. You might have got a O2 sensor wet or some other sensor wet causing a misfire. I had a P0300 code when I cracked an O2 sensor. I recommend not driving your Xterra if it is running rough and flashing a SES light, or it will damage a cat. I had to replace a left side 02 sensor that caused the misfire and left side primary cat do to the misfire causing damage. Usually the misfire will start or get worse once the vehicle warms up and the ECU goes into closed loop mode, using the 02 sensors to determine the amount of fuel sent to the cylinders. O2 sensors is where I would start, check for a damage sensor or water/debris in one of the connectors.

·
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The weird thing was after I got it off the trail and parked it and it sat for about an hour and a half it stopped flashing and ran fine, but the code was still there today when I put the scan tool on it. Also the closed loop code didn't show up. When I got stuck I was pretty stuffed into 2 feet of snow, could that have anything to do with it? I mean could have getting a cat or o2 sensor burried in the snow have caused a rapid temporary cool down and then the misfire?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I got the SES with the P0300 code again. I was able to track it down to cylinder 1. Wasnt able to get the coil pack off cylinder one cause of the intake to check the plug.

SO with 95k on the clock could it be the plugs? I checked the first cyclinder on the passenger side and the plug was nice and brown.

Im open to all suggestions, and I am in need of help here. Its running pretty rough and its pissing me off and I need to get this squared away.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So I got the SES with the P0300 code again. I was able to track it down to cylinder 1. Wasnt able to get the coil pack off cylinder one cause of the intake to check the plug.

SO with 95k on the clock could it be the plugs? I checked the first cyclinder on the passenger side and the plug was nice and brown.

Im open to all suggestions, and I am in need of help here. Its running pretty rough and its pissing me off and I need to get this squared away.

Ever figure out your issue?

·
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember correctly, I replaced the plugs, and that helped for a bit. Later that year I put on long tubes and the cats were trashed.

That X is long gone now. Motor died on the way back from Moab.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Some general info for anyone not familiar with obd codes.

A P0300 diagnostic code indicates a random misfire. If the final digit is a number other than zero, it relates to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0304 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number four is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn't tell you specifically which cylinders may be mis-firing.

Causes may include any or all of the below.

failing:
spark plugs or wires
coil's
oxygen sensor's
fuel injector
catalytic converter
EGR valve
camshaft position sensor
computer

·
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear that, I am having similar problems with mine, What did you do with your x and did you buy another one
Not a big deal. I got my money’s worth. I stripped it and sent the remains off to the junk yard.

I ended up buying a low mileage 2011 Pro 4X, swapped a lot over and improved a lot as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Ripper
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing