Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading everything I could find on the 2ndary timing chain issue for the X, I decided it was worth doing myself. Mine is a 2005 Offroad, manual. I'm a mediocre mechanic, mostly done older vehicles and Subarus.

After 2 min of idling and a couple min of driving, I get code P0300, multiple cylinder misfire. The idle is a little rough, but everything seems smooth and normal otherwise. Reset it and it came back in a couple of minutes.

Sensor issue or did I miss by a tooth? With the front cover open, I advanced the engine by hand with no valve slap, looked at the cams and was pretty sure everything lined up. My primary chain did not have the colored links to line up and it is possible that there was more slack on one side of the crank I suppose. I can't tear it back again because I have no access to a shop. Also, it sat in a dusty shop for a few days during repairs which could have messed with a sensor? Where should I start?

·
on line
236 Posts
I did my chain myself also. And I think if you had the cogs misaligned you would hear your motor get trashed shortly after starting it up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For anyone who runs into this issue: Might as well try cleaning off all the contacts just in case and give the computer a few minutes to figure it out since it is quick and free. It ended up being off a tooth though. I think new engines with electronic ignition and VVT can compensate for a bit of misalignment and make it driveable. However, lining up the chain is the only fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up having to bring it to the dealer, didn't want to open it in a dirt driveway. If I remember correctly you can tell which half of the engine is off based on one of the codes, may require the special Nissan tool. I think the best thing to do is mark one link of the timing chain in the center and count the number of links to the top of each cam sprocket. Then get it tensioned and see if everything is still at TDC. The good news is that my engine is still going strong 50k miles later. It idles "slappy"er that most Xterras but I bought it with the timing issue making enough noise that I can't be sure when it started or the cause. Still has good power and 20mpg highway.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
703 Posts
20mpg????!!!???

You are blessed by the Gods!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe it bent/adjusted the camshaft for optimal MPGs. I won't question it too much, I just turn up the radio and go!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts