Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few things I am working on right now for my overlanding build. Before I get into it here are the basics. I have an iKamper X-Cover, a RoadShower 7L, a Frontrunner Slimline, and an 270° awning that attaches on the driver's side and extends to the passengers side.

I am trying to fit all of that on the Frontrunner Slimline.

1. The iKamper is roughly the same size as the roof rack. How do you get your rooftop tents on and off? I have to do it by myself since my wife is 4'10".
2. The awning attaches to the side of the rack using the Frontrunner awning attachment.
3. My issue is fitting the RoadShower to the rack. Currently I am thinking of putting it on the passengers but the tent opens to that side. My second option is to attach it to the front or back of the roof rack by moving the roof top tent around. How do you guys attach yours?
4. I am also thinking of getting a new 270° awning. I really want a freestanding one. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have a good idea of what I want but want to see what people think.
5. Can anyone give me rear and front bumper recommendations I don't want anything over the top and crazy just more robust and 'tasteful' (not 100% sure what that means exactly, just something not too over the top).
6. Is anyone on here using roXterra outside molle panels? What are your thoughts.

Thanks for sticking it out through my post. Any overlanding ideas and advice is welcome. Please send me pics of your setup or links for products. I want to really optimize my ride for glamping/camping.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Great name.

#1 I would STRONGLY recommend not trying to do it yourself. Those RTT's are heavy - the lightweight ones are a hair under 200 lbs. A lot could go wrong. I helped a friend load one with me, him, his wife and her boyfriend and it wasn't exactly easy, lol. If you're buying it from a store, I would think they would help you install it at least the first time. A quick google search pulled up a few hoists you can get.

#2-4, no help there. #5, check out the "exterior" forum - there are TONS of threads there.

Don't be afraid to search. No offense intended, the last guy I told to search got his feelings hurt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome name yourself. No I appreciate all the advice, not offended unless you want me too lol. So the issue with #1 I am running into is that our garage is too short for the Xterra (no lift) to have the rtt on it so I can't hoist it on and off. It's really stupid, but I do really appreciate the advice about the exterior forum!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Awesome name yourself. No I appreciate all the advice, not offended unless you want me too lol. So the issue with #1 I am running into is that our garage is too short for the Xterra (no lift) to have the rtt on it so I can't hoist it on and off. It's really stupid, but I do really appreciate the advice about the exterior forum!
I have the same issue (garage too short to drive the X with a rtt on it) or I'd have bought an rtt a long time ago. If you have room on the side of your house that you can drive your x into you can build yourself a little wooden gantry to lift it off, I know somone with property who has done that and he's happy with it. One man operation.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ah, I didn't even think about the height difference between a bed mounted RTT and a roof mount. Too many whiskey's. Or not enough, I dunno.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Plenty of people go camping without a RTT.

Replace that with a ground tent, or sleep inside the rig, and you've 1) eliminated your logistical mounting / storage problem, 2) improved your range, and 3) lowered your COG for improved handling.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Plenty of people go camping without a RTT.

Replace that with a ground tent, or sleep inside the rig, and you've 1) eliminated your logistical mounting / storage problem, 2) improved your range, and 3) lowered your COG for improved handling.

i second this. If i were someone that camped ALOT or did actual "overlanding" as in driving for multiple days straight off road, then a RTT might make sense. but I dont feel that, even with my camping 4-6 times per year, that it is worth the cost and drawbacks.

I sleep in the X, my prefered method as you are protected from the wind and critters.. or a ground tent if its me and my wife and our two dogs again inside the would be prefered but there just isnt enough room inside.

I can totally understand the benefits for someone that frequently "overlands", simply having to set up and take down a ground tent every night/ morning on a 3-4 or more day trip would be enough to consider the RTT, again, in that scenario.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
911 Posts
I can say I have tent camped for years and backpacked and trailer camped for 35+ years but who’s counting.
Wife wanted a RTT and I said no and they weren’t available lol. So my wife son and I took our backpacking 3 person tent, inflatable pads and sleeping bags on a 9 day 2,800 mile Xterra trip of the southwest this October.
After 4 days and nights of setting up and tearing down every day and sleeping on the ground I would have paid double for a RTT.

For only a few nights a tent is fine but for extended travel I’m all about the RTT.

I’m 6’3”, the wife is 6’ and a 10 year old son sleeping in the X ain’t going to happen.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
If you haven't already done so, you may want to consider that you may have to upgrade your suspension to handle the extra weight of all gear.

If you stop each night at a different location, a RTT isn't a bad option. If you travel to a location., set up camp, and then explore, it may be more prudent to tent camp.

Be mindful of the 270 Awning and interference with your hatch. Especially it you decide to upgrade your hatch struts.

The roXterra Sherpa panels seem interesting, but I'm not sure about how it mounts so I'm not sure if they will interfere with your awning and shower. Wish they had better pictures about how it mounts. Will have to do more research on those. ;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
i second this. If i were someone that camped ALOT or did actual "overlanding" as in driving for multiple days straight off road, then a RTT might make sense. but I dont feel that, even with my camping 4-6 times per year, that it is worth the cost and drawbacks.

I sleep in the X, my prefered method as you are protected from the wind and critters.. or a ground tent if its me and my wife and our two dogs again inside the would be prefered but there just isnt enough room inside.

I can totally understand the benefits for someone that frequently "overlands", simply having to set up and take down a ground tent every night/ morning on a 3-4 or more day trip would be enough to consider the RTT, again, in that scenario.
But without that ugly cube on the roof how will your office buddies know you’re a TRUE outdoor enthusiast!?!?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Am I the only one who saw this and thought "Wait, what? Me, him, his wife and HER BOYFRIEND?"
I think that's the norm these days. I had a customer come in and buy a new stihl chainsaw for his wife's boyfriend. Oh wait, maybe it was to dispose of the body!! lol

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been using the AirBedz inflatable air mattress for the Xterra for overlanding or a ground tent when camping in one spot for more than two nights. The AirBedz fits perfectly and is very comfortable if you are less than 5'10 inches. Just need a couple of plastic bins to put in the footwells. Would not recommend if you are taller.

Almost all of the roof top tents are too heavy, and I don't have anyone else to help me install. They also 't clear the garage door so can't leave it on the Xterra, nor would I want to. I have been looking into the the hardshell GFC Superlite which is only about 90 pounds, and I think I might be able to install myself, but they are not delivering until August or later. Not sure how they attach, either. I use two Plano boxes to put all of the camping/cooking gear in the back. Just open up the hatch and unload two waterproof boxes and everything is right there. But if you haven't upgraded your suspension you will be bottoming out with all of the extra weight. (Ask me how I know)

·
Registered
18 Posts
We really enjoy our RTT. Its set up in about 30 seconds and can close it up in about a minute. We leave our bedding in the tent so our set up and tear down are really quick. I really like being off the ground but don't like having to climb in and out. You can't stand up and change in it so getting dressed can be tricky if your not in a secluded location. It is top heavy and I definitely know its up top when we are on the trail. I would not want any more weight up there. I considered a shower but the didn't feel more weight up top was a good decision.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use a Zodi for hot showers when camping. My camping friends laughed at me at first, but now they ask if they can use it. Nothing better than a hot shower before dinner and crawling into a sleeping bag. Especially useful if you have little children or grandchildren that tend to get a little dirty or muddy in the forest. Uses the standard 16 ounce propane bottle (same as cookstove) and comes with a little stand for the tank and propane burner which all disassembles and goes in a vinyl carry bag. Has a temperature gauge. You can even use the burner to cook if you don't have a stove! The Australian Joolca looks nice, but more complicated and expensive.

On the internet you can even find a shower nozzle that fits to a 2 quart plastic soda bottle if you don't want to spend the money for a Zodi. My son bought one to give my grandson a quick rinse at the end of the camping day. Can use your camp stove to warm up the water, then pour into the soda bottle. We tested it in our pool; it will give you 30 seconds of continuous water flow, just enough to rinse a small child. The Zodi is two gallons and will give two people hot showers per fill up if they are careful.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts