Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I might as well start a build thread, since every time I think I'm done modifying the Xterra I come up with another project.

I bought my X 4 months ago, its a 2013 AT. The previous owner gave it lots of love, here's how it came to me (probably some things im forgetting):
  • Full Aluminum Skids
  • 3.69 re-gear
  • Front and Rear ARB Locker
  • OEM Suspension (2in lift) with Dakar Leaf Springs
  • Shockworth Front Bumper with Winch
  • Insane Fabrication Swing out Rear Bumper
  • White Knuckle off-road Sliders
  • Dephep Roof Rack
  • Gobi Rear Hatch Ladder
  • ARB Awning
  • 285/75/16 Firestone Destination MT on Level8 MK6 Wheels
  • Diff Breather Mod
  • Airflow Snorkel
  • ARB Air Compressor
Since owning it, here is what I have added/done:
  • Front Runner Roof Rack
  • James Baroud RTT
  • Full Interior Buildout
  • Aux Lithium Battery Setup
  • Ditch Lights
  • LED Lightbar
  • Trasharoo
Here are some future plans I have with the build:
  • Alcan Leaf Springs
  • Onboard water system in stock spare tire location
  • 295/75/16 KO2's
Happy to give any information on anything I've done, especially the interior buildout I just finished (super happy with it!).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks awesome man! how did you mount the rotopax to your tire swing out?
The bumper came with the rotopax mount. I believe the previous owner had a relationship with the fab company and had them add it. The Mount is very flimsy though I will probably replace it at some point.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spent the day doing some misc work around the X. Removed water stains from upholstery, restored headlights, and waxed the outside to help mitigate some scratches. Planning to add outlet to the rear tomorrow to give an easily accessible plug in spot (12v)

·
Registered
'08 S, Black, modifications in the works.
26 Posts
Whoa! This whole thing looks amazing. I would take any info you want to give on the interior build-out! You utilized just about everything I have flagged from various Youtube videos that I want to include in one. I'd likely need to adjust some sizing as I want to still fit in a Ruffland kennel and my ARB fridge is bigger, but I am going to delete the rear seats. I have the skills/tools to build it. Let me know if you are open to chat/DM about the sliders/hinges you used and anything you'd change. Pretty curious about this water stage as well. Cheers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I thought I might as well start a build thread, since every time I think I'm done modifying the Xterra I come up with another project.

I bought my X 4 months ago, its a 2013 AT. The previous owner gave it lots of love, here's how it came to me (probably some things im forgetting):
  • Full Aluminum Skids
  • 3.69 re-gear
  • OME Suspension (2in lift) with Dakar Leaf Springs
  • Dephep Roof Rack
  • Gobi Rear Hatch Ladder
  • ARB Awning
  • Diff Breather Mod
  • Airflow Snorkel
  • ARB Air Compressor
  • Front Runner Roof Rack
  • James Baroud RTT
  • Full Interior Buildout
  • Ditch Lights
  • LED Lightbar
  • Trasharoo
  • Alcan Leaf Springs
  • 295/75/16 KO2's
Happy to give any information on anything I've done, especially the interior buildout I just finished (super happy with it!).
Awesome build man. Looks great.

·
Premium Member
2015 Xterra PRO-4X
124 Posts
Those are the exact wheels and tire size that I want! Any issues with rubbing? Any cutting or mods other than melt mod? I've got a 2.5"-3" lift.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are the exact wheels and tire size that I want! Any issues with rubbing? Any cutting or mods other than melt mod? I've got a 2.5"-3" lift.
Fits great, just have melt mod. The tires I have are also large for a 285/75/16, they’re 33.1 vs the usual 32.8. I’m thinking of stepping up to 295/75/16 KO2s which would be 33.4

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
105 Posts
I was able to sway @Keevohh to consider an Xterra over a 4Runner or GX470 but my entreaties for him to also consider putting the kitchen up front (on the bumper) rather than the back were less successful. Still, the results of his buildout speak for themselves. It looks great.

·
Registered
13 Posts

• Full Aluminum Skids
  • 3.69 re-gear
  • OME Suspension (2in lift) with Dakar Leaf Springs
  • Dephep Roof Rack
  • Gobi Rear Hatch Ladder
  • ARB Awning
  • Diff Breather Mod
  • Airflow Snorkel
  • ARB Air Compressor
  • Front Runner Roof Rack
  • James Baroud RTT
  • Full Interior Buildout
  • Ditch Lights
  • LED Lightbar
  • Trasharoo
  • Alcan Leaf Springs
  • 295/75/16 KO2's
I'd like to say what a marvellous job you've done on your Xterra. It is so nice to see one kitted out so thoughtfully and comprehensively. You're a master technician and everything is meticulously done. Wonderful! Is that Baltic / Russian Birch plywood with a Maple veneer? What did you finish it with? The overall effect is as beautiful as your workmanship.
I am retired (old) and have worked on our 2008 Offroad for years. We started by gutting the interior making a two-seater of it to free up space my wife and I need for long, solo trips. Four years ago we drove from Tuktoyaktuk in Arctic Canada to the tip of South America and didn't have a mechanical failure of any consequence despite numerous deep bogs, water crossings and the +48C heat and dust of the high Atacama. Damage to our Xterra consisted of tire punctures, hail dents, stone cracked headlights and windscreen, a stone-smashed liftgate window, some broken wheels studs, sand-blasted paint, and a wonky u-joint. Nissan surely missed the boat when they stopped making these durable machines.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
good build and good additions. alcans will help you so much. I haven't ordered ALCANS in a long while... I heard they have a new owner and prices have gone up ALOT. so you might check out HDTRUCKSPRINGS.com... I have only ever ordered custom u-bolts from them but might be worth a look at least... take it for what you will.. I strongly suggest weighing what you carry. you will see a lot of posts on here about alcans and +300 or stuff like that... I got +700 even daily driving it wasn't bad. I would't go much more than that for if it's a DD unless you need the weight; but you're gonna need some +weight for that set up and it's a good looking set up. looks like an amazing set up. having a fridge. I'd HIGHLY recommend doing a dual battery setup. @roXterra has a kit and his website is Xterra Roof Racks, Molle Panels and accessories - roXterra Designs - Roof Racks and Molle Panels for Xterran Gen2 2005-2015 and Gen1 2000-2004 If i ever win a fridge at some "overland" event (I go more to wheeler events meh) I willl be ordering that set up... I'm kind of considering ordering one anyway to have it in reserve... I have a @roXterra molle pannel and that's pretty solid and was a porotype model so I like to think he makes good stuff.. his set up plus EXIDE batteries you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
good build and good additions. alcans will help you so much. I haven't ordered ALCANS in a long while... I heard they have a new owner and prices have gone up ALOT. so you might check out HDTRUCKSPRINGS.com... I have only ever ordered custom u-bolts from them but might be worth a look at least... take it for what you will.. I strongly suggest weighing what you carry. you will see a lot of posts on here about alcans and +300 or stuff like that... I got +700 even daily driving it wasn't bad. I would't go much more than that for if it's a DD unless you need the weight; but you're gonna need some +weight for that set up and it's a good looking set up. looks like an amazing set up. having a fridge. I'd HIGHLY recommend doing a dual battery setup. @roXterra has a kit and his website is Xterra Roof Racks, Molle Panels and accessories - roXterra Designs - Roof Racks and Molle Panels for Xterran Gen2 2005-2015 and Gen1 2000-2004 If i ever win a fridge at some "overland" event (I go more to wheeler events meh) I willl be ordering that set up... I'm kind of considering ordering one anyway to have it in reserve... I have a @roXterra molle pannel and that's pretty solid and was a porotype model so I like to think he makes good stuff.. his set up plus EXIDE batteries you can't go wrong.
We went with Aussie stuff after we spent 5 months there touring several famous outback tracks. Old Man Emus with the Dakkar overloads leafs worked really well for us during a 4 month trip through South Africa and Namibia on some woderfully rugged tracks from the sea to the highlands. We thought about Alcans too but felt it was an unknown entity in comparison to OME which we knew well could handle the heavy weight of a fully developed offroad overlander plus if anything went wrong with them they were easier to replace on other continents.
Weight, as you stated, is a critical thing to understand; not ony back to front but side to side and diagonally. A few trips to a weigh station when developing your rig will be a real eye-opener as to the balancing of weight in your machine.
Dual batteries are a must. However, most trays are geared towards Optima Group 34 or 24 which is ok if you like them. We didn't and would not recommend them as qualitycontrol is sketchy and the simple draw of an efficient fridge like a 56L Snomaster leaves them wheezing after a day even when run in parallel and fed Solar through a Redarc 1225D charger. I would suggest moving a few things like the power steering fluid bottle, ditching the plastic coolant reservoir (it's a problem waiting to happen in hot climates) and replacing it with a flat-sided aluminum reservoir of which there are several on the market, then making your own aluminum step-down tray (or adapt two purchasedl trays) to allow two Group 34 batteries s side-by-side. Removing that 'gooseneck' on the positive terminal and a bit of rewiring there makes it much easier. This allows easy access to both batteries and good cooling of both. Batteries? Optima? Better than Odyssey in our experience but, no, not up to the task over the long haul as Mexican QC is not the best so far. Odyssey? No. Had them and both went south in less than eighteen months. Warranty should have covered it but found it's a 'non-warranty' Warranty. Read it and wonder aloud as anything that can possibly kill a battery is excluded!. Northstar? Got four years from them and would have bought again but now out of business since being taken over by Enersys, the same company that is ruining Odyssey's reputation. We installed two Group 34 Full Throttle batteries from the Full River battery company. They use the best tech available and the purest thin-plate lead that can be sourced, plus their internal connectors are designed to resist offroad slamming and vibration while their battery case is thick, vibration resistant ABS instead of the lesser polypropylene many others use. Their plant is overseas but run to ISO standards by a private company and QC is very high. Installed two 3 months ago so can't say anything about them from a long term perspective yet. We also run two 75aH CanBat Lithiums for ligthing and other gizmos in our modified Canadian Army M101 trailer - much like the Scott trailer the US Army used for years. It also houses our iKamper RTT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haven't updated this thread in a while, but have completed some exciting projects I need to add:
-Diesel Heater
-2ftx6ft slide out table
-Electronics Charging Box
-Onboard water system
-Sound System (all speakers, headunit, sub and amp)
-Front/Rear Camera

Here are a few photos from recent trips to Utah and Alberta:
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Sky Mountain
Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Bedrock

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
105 Posts
Mouthwatering pics!!

Any one of your bullet points above could (and should!) be a post in their own right. I’d love to know more about the water system. Not many here have tackled that. Bravo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey man, not sure if I’m reading it wrong, but did the previous owner achieve the 2” of lift with aftermarket leaf springs but stock suspension?

I’m looking to lift my X 2”, but don’t want to spend upwards of $1000 for a lift kit!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts