Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted a few months ago about a over heating problem I had while in Moab... took it to the dealer and they said my overflow tank was filled above the max line. They drained it and filled to the proper level. I drove my X home with the A/C on and it ran fine.
Well, with the 100+ degree weather we have now in Las Vegas the X is overheating again. On the freeway this morning I had to pull over and let the X cool down. Outside temp was around 103 and my temp gauge was almost peaked out. A/C was on, I was driving approx 70mph for a few miles on the freeway when this happened. When the A/C is on it seems to run hotter than normal and most of the time it peaks out the temp gauge.

The electric fan does come on, at least everytime i check it is on. Coolant levels are normal and no visible debris in my radiator. Nothing is blocking the front either. Has anyone experienced theirs running hot with the A/C on?

·
on line
1,891 Posts
When I was driving from California to North Carolina last year, I went through Vegas, about the only problem I had was my tire tread melting and wearing the tire out way fast. Other then that I had no problem as far as the engine temp. You might want to go back to the dearlership if it continues.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Yeah, I do lots of hot weather driving out here in CA with the AC on. 110-115, I haven't had a problem, although the few times it's been that hot I've given it a periodic rest, esp. up steep hills.

But overall, it hasn't been a issue, and low 100s are common where I wheel.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i let it cool down and visually inspected everything again, couldnt find anything wrong. going to the dealer in the morning and hopefully they can find out what is wrong.

i think my thermostat is stuck, because when i turn the heater on the temp drops.

also when the A/C is on it smells like a wet dog. i sprayed some vent duct cleaner and deoderizer in there but that lasted for a few days. but fist i have to fix this overheating problem.

i will post what the dealer finds tomorrow

·
on line
376 Posts
I recently discovered an overheating problem with my Frontier on a trip to URE. Same symptoms you had, except it happened on hill climbs and slow crawls. I got back and it started to overheat in some mud (never had before). I pressure washed the radiator out as best as I could, and did a coolant flush at work and added some water wetter. I haven't had trouble since.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i hope its not a heater core... but it is under warranty so they can have fun replacing it :)

in Moab it overheated several times on the trails doing slow crawls. started after i drove through mud... hmm i did pressure wash the radiator but i did not do a coolant flush yet.

my X is at the dealer now, been there since 7am this morning (the service dept is open from 7am to 8pm!!) they have now had the vehicle for 12 hours and it did overheat on them twice today. so they are keeping it overnight and checking it again in the morning. no word yet on what they believe the problem is. calling in the morning and hopefully i get my X back! and it better work! taking it to the desert for some "testing" right after, and if the gauge rises to the same point... back to the dealer again.

3rd times a charm right?? 3rd time also means LEMON! but i hope not. i love this X more than my girlfriend (she wont read this) :blackeye:

·
on line
376 Posts
If they can't figure it out, ask them to replace the radiator and thermostat for you. That'd be easier than having to deal w/ de-modding, etc. Then replace the coolant but put slightly more water than coolant. Usually its a 50/50 mix but water disipates heat better. Like I said I have access to a coolant flush machine at work so I thoroughly flushed the system w/ 3 gallons of straight water, then I did a flush w/ a near 50/50 mix and added the water wetter after that.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
called the dealer this morning. they are installing a new radiator and thermostat. they believe something is stuck in the radiator and causing it to overheat on them. looks like i am having the same problem as others did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts