Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a 2014 with 92k miles. It overheated while driving up a long hill, not sure what caused it but the radiator came apart where the plastic is crimped to aluminum. I let it cool, filled it with water and limped it 15 miles home, stopping, letting it cool, and refilling it with water when it got warm. I swapped in a new radiator the next day and drove it about 10 mins to warm up, burped the air from the lines, and drove it another 10mins with no overheating issues. The following day it just wouldnt start. It just cranks but still wont start. I got a p0340 (camshaft sensor bank 1) code at one point but I cleared it and it doesnt seem to return.
The trans coolant was bypassed already on the old radiator and the trans fluid on the dipstick looks fine. Engine oil was changed 1k miles ago and looks fine. Coolant looks fine too, no signs of oil. I'll get a new camshaft position sensor at the dealership on monday, Is there anything else i should try?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
If you haven't done so already, delete the tranny bypass.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Sounds like your crank sensor is bad - its a common problem around here. Might be coincidence, might be you overheated it also - who knows. Change it first to eliminate it. Its cheap and easy - but use a hitachi or OEM unit only.

Also as mentioned get rid of the bypass. 2012 was past the smod era, and your heating your transmission more than it needs to be without the cooler.

·
Registered
117 Posts
P0340 is a camshaft position sensor code. Yes, we all mix the words crank and cam when typing or speaking. It's interesting that your cam position sensors are going out at 92k. That's the lowest milage failure I've seen reported on this site for the cam sensors. Best to replace the bank1 and bank 2 cam sensors at the same time. May as well replace the actual crankshaft position sensor while you're swapping out the cam position sensors.

·
Registered
185 Posts
While diagnosing don't forget to check fuses & triple check connections. I changed plugs & pulled sensors once without disconnecting battery. No start, tried to diagnose for 2 days, finally checked fuses & turned out to be a blown fuel pump fuse.

Point is it is most likely the CPS but diagnose as if you have no idea & you might get lucky.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P0340 is a camshaft position sensor code. Yes, we all mix the words crank and cam when typing or speaking. It's interesting that your cam position sensors are going out at 92k. That's the lowest milage failure I've seen reported on this site for the cam sensors. Best to replace the bank1 and bank 2 cam sensors at the same time. May as well replace the actual crankshaft position sensor while you're swapping out the cam position sensors.
Oops, fixed that, thanks!

I ordered both hitachi camshaft position sensors. I tried cranking it over again and noticed a weird smell coming from the exhaust. After placing paper towels under the muffler it's clear that there's some weird fluid in there. Must have blown headgasket. Is there a recommended set? Anything else I should do while I'm in there? Timing chain guides, tensioner, water pump?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Oops, fixed that, thanks!

I ordered both hitachi camshaft position sensors. I tried cranking it over again and noticed a weird smell coming from the exhaust. After placing paper towels under the muffler it's clear that there's some weird fluid in there. Must have blown headgasket. Is there a recommended set? Anything else I should do while I'm in there? Timing chain guides, tensioner, water pump?
Can you tell the color of the liquid? Remember that the muffler has a weep hole for release of condensate during initial start and warm up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty clear with a hint of brown. Tastes sweet (I know, I know, don't taste muffler water...) so it must be coolant. :cautious:

·
Registered
177 Posts
My exhaust lets a lot of water out the weep hole but I live in cold asses weather. Water is usually a clear ish with some black silt in it from carbon build up. The brownish may be some rust in the muffler mixed with water too. You could change you oil and see if you have coolant mixed in oil good indicator head gasket fried. Once you get new sensors and can start it look in rad and see you see a lot of bubbles constantly that also good indicator gaket went. Or you could get a compression and leak down down to be sure

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The plan now is to swap in the new sensor and see if it starts. If not, start pulling out spark plugs, looking for coolant in cylinders, and checking compression.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Compression test would have been the first thing I would have done. I'm going to bet on a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's definitely head gaskets. I've been slowly tearing the engine apart but only got up to removing the crankshaft pulley. I just got a free complete 2008 titan with a bad ecu so I might go that route instead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts