Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To go along with the new roof rack I built I am adding some lighting. A 41.5" LED bar for the front, 21.5" LED bars on the sides and rear, and LED light strips underneath for rock lights. I considered a lot of different spots for the switch panel, finally settling on the overhead panel where my factory blue tooth speaker is. Not done yet but here is the progress:

Stripped the X down to remove the headliner:

Tracing the new switch panel:

It fits:

The relays and power/ground bus bars are going in the overhead next to the switch panel so I cut a piece of aluminum to mount everything on:

Fuse panel is going forward of the switches on top of the sunglasses holder:

All done with the relays and switches:

Today's progress:

Powered up the upper half of the switches to see what they looked like lit up:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well all of the interior is done. Just wrapped up. I decided to move the fuse panel because it was pushing on my switch panel and wouldn't have been as easy as I had thought to check the fuses. Fuse panel is now on the drivers side above the kick panel where my power comes through the firewall. Tomorrow the rack should get wired up and mounted so I can check the lights out and adjust their mounting as necessary.

Pics from today

Relay panel mounted:

My new harness connection point:

The new fuse panel location:

The mess in the overhead:

The final product:

Really happy with the amber color OTRATTW offers, pretty closely matches the dash lights, which helps make it look like they belong there.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Looks freakin' awesome! I have some switches up there - let me know if you nail down an unobtrusive way to secure the bluetooth panel. Mine falls out regularly with the weight of the switches, etc.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks freakin' awesome! I have some switches up there - let me know if you nail down an unobtrusive way to secure the bluetooth panel. Mine falls out regularly with the weight of the switches, etc.

I made the hole for the OTRATTW panel a little small so that when I put the panel in it kinda wedge itself, making the Bluetooth panel bulge slightly. This holds it in the slot much tighter, it's hard to pull out now, which is what I was going for. Considering just glueing it in from the back. I'll have to drop the whole console to access the everything easily anyways. Point of no return so I'm not worried about glueing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Stripped the X down to remove the headliner:
That took some time I’ll bet. How much of a pain was it to pull the wires off the adhesive on the top of the headliner?

I also did switches on the overhead console, little differently though. I removed both visors and had plenty of room to fish wires through along with drilling a hole into the roof.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It wasn't too bad, having a friend help with the headliner will make it much easier. All of the wires are electrical taped to the headliner, I just cut the tape. When I put it back in the only place I intend on taping is next to the overhead lights so that I don't loose the harness while putting the headliner back in.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Very clean install/wiring.

What gauge wiring did you use? Looks like 12?

Looks like you jumped some connections on the switches as well as relays. I'm wiring roof and bumper lights right now.

Can you "illuminate" ;) me on which poles on your relays were jumped?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Very clean.

I would also be interested in a little more info on the wiring, maybe post your diagram and explain why/how you set it all up?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Lights are getting wired tomorrow, hopefully tomorrow night I will have everything done. 2nd post updated with today's progress. Tomorrow I will work on the wire diagram for those of you that are interested.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts