Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After kicking around the idea of the gentex mirror with the integrated outside temp display, i decided it wasnt worth scrapping the SE compas mirror ($$)

So, I knew there were these wireless units at walmart/target for around $15-$25, so i headed out to get one of these and install the sensor somewhere away from the engine bay area.

While I was looking for the stickypads, I saw in the generic car accessory rack at walmart, a Bell Clock.temp display. Its about the size of 2 packs of gum, and was only $10. I thought, ok this has to be a POS, but for $10, I cant go wrong. I put the wireless unit back and bought this Bell.

Found a url for the Bell unit:
http://www.bellautomotive.com/asp/product_details.asp?id=24149

I get home and test the temp accuracy against my more "proper" units, to my surprise it was spot on.

Ok, approved to go in the X.

INstal is super easy, it uses a AAA battery. Has clock mode, inside temp, and outside temp. Just flip the switch.

The outside sensor is on a wire probably long enough to wire to the front of the car grill like the gentek. I decided against that due to the radiant engine bay heat. So i looked for a closer spot to the side of the car, that was still "outside" the weather seals.

Pics explain the rest. So far so good. Tested against my other car with a factory outside temp display, and the two were off by 1 degree F.

The unit looks ok, and i thought about flush mounting it into the dash, but its not worth it for something I might look at once a day.

PICS:

All Done (cant be seen well from the driving position, but thats fine with me being out of the way. The other side of the steering column might be better for viewing and for the passenger to see, but that was my point, to keep it out of the eyes of others. Ultimately its not oem looking so its considered an "eye sore" to me :)

Display unit before mounting. Cut a small notch in the lower dash pannel so the wire can run smoothly through

Just some duct tape to hold the sensor wire down on the lower door sill, the sensor is tucked into a metal bracket that should help keep the elements away, the rest of the wire goes through the kick pannel and up through the lower dash pannel:

Where the sensor is if you looked from the outside, of course you cant see it unless you get real close.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Nice finding. There is gotta be a better way to install that wire thought.

·
on line
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BGXterra said:
Nice finding. There is gotta be a better way to install that wire thought.
Yeah it could hide under the weatherstrip, but Id like to get it away from the car as much as possible. You wouldt see the duct tape if you didnt look for it. I might experiement to see if having it further away from the weatherstrip is making a diff or not. If not, ill hide it under the strip, which would only show a few inches of wire coming out of the kickpannel

·
on line
96 Posts
s4iscool said:
BigDaddyChia said:
why put the sensor down by the ground that wont give an accurate temp.
why not? do explain
If you're parked on asphault (sp?) for a long time, it might read hotter than the air temperature is. The pavement gives off heat after its been baking in the sun for a while.

·
on line
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WindSurfr3 said:
s4iscool said:
BigDaddyChia said:
why not? do explain
If you're parked on asphault (sp?) for a long time, it might read hotter than the air temperature is. The pavement gives off heat after its been baking in the sun for a while.
Well of course its not always going to be semi accurate. If I drive through a forrest fire, its going to read hotter than the temp above the roof rack...so where do you suggest one puts it??? Up on the roof would be the best imo, but its not worth wiring it up there. Itll be semi accurate when Im moving and thats all that matters to me

Its proving to be an ok mod (esp for $10), but it is slow to react to temp changes.

·
on line
96 Posts
s4iscool said:
WindSurfr3 said:
s4iscool said:
BigDaddyChia said:
why not? do explain
Well of course its not always going to be semi accurate. If I drive through a forrest fire, its going to read hotter than the temp above the roof rack...so where do you suggest one puts it???
I was just throwing out a guess as to why it was suggested that it would not be best placed lower as opposed to higher. I like your set up a lot, its simple and serves it's purpose. Efficient and a lot less involved than it would be to replace the entire mirror system.

·
on line
19 Posts
On the drivers side arm rest there is a cluster of switches that make the windows go up and down. works for me everytime.

·
on line
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mtdewmike said:
I may pick one of those up. I miss my temp & compass overhead gauge from my old '02. I have no idea why Nissan didn't throw those in the new models. They're so simple, and come in handy.
Let me use this Bell model some more before you pluge down the $10 path! While I like the simple unit, it is turning out to react slowly to temp changes. Ive relocated the sensor to betwent he front and rear doors and up higher as one suggested. It still is close to the Banks temp display when I drive by, but if the car has sat a while and I drive by the bank within minutes, the temp will read at least 4F or more higher until it has time to drop.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
s4iscool said:
mtdewmike said:
I may pick one of those up. I miss my temp & compass overhead gauge from my old '02. I have no idea why Nissan didn't throw those in the new models. They're so simple, and come in handy.
Let me use this Bell model some more before you pluge down the $10 path! While I like the simple unit, it is turning out to react slowly to temp changes. Ive relocated the sensor to betwent he front and rear doors and up higher as one suggested. It still is close to the Banks temp display when I drive by, but if the car has sat a while and I drive by the bank within minutes, the temp will read at least 4F or more higher until it has time to drop.

well you are getting some heat, or cold for that matter, from the chasi. so the reading from the sensor is going to reflect that too, that is why it takes a while to react. usually that kind of sensors are pretty sensitive and do not take long to adapt to temp changes even if they are cheap

·
on line
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Muzikman said:
How long is the cord on the sensor?
DIdnt measure it, but Id say about 10'

The sensor is just slow, even with it in my hand, the temp will take a few minutes to climb up past 95

I wonder how the wireless $20 jobbies react...in the end, im still satisfied with this one, nothing will be 100% accurate.

·
on line
42 Posts
I was seriously thinking about doing the temp equipped Gentex mirror upgrade... and saw a great how-to write up on "that other X website'... but reconsidered.

It was just too much a hassle to go through all those gryrations/cost to know the outside temp.

I have a radio that tells me this... but if I had to know immediately, I'd sure go the route you mentioned... and use the money on other upgrades. I love whizzbang upgrades as much as the next guy, but I can live without the Gentex mirror.

Meh... that's just me though...

·
on line
1,361 Posts
has anyone tried the wireless versions yet? I would like one but don't feel like running the wire. Maybe I will have to be a guinea pig on the wireless.

Where would be a good place to mount the sensor with a wireless unit?

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Just another option discussed on a different site.
A cheaper alternative to the Gentex mirror with similar features.
Has compass, temperature, dimming mirror, and some other useless stuff.
If I didn't have the Gentex mirror already I would definately consider this.

______
CLICKY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts