Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
911 operators eventually advised her to turn off the SUV's ignition using the key.
It seems like common sense to me that this is what you try before calling 911. And shifting to neutral. It's kinda like that "try turning it off then on" approach.

Hell, when I was 16 about a month after I got my license I got the pedal stuck under the floor mat in my mom's volvo, (flooring it off a stop light as 16 year olds do) and I was smart enough to throw it in neutral and shut it off after about 15 seconds.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Whenever I hear about these things one thought pops into my mind: WHY DON'T THESE IDIOTS SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION TO NEUTRAL?"
Shock, surprise, unable to react or think clearly in an emergency, not knowing how a vehicle really works outside of the normal park, drive, reverse, lock, unlock, brake and steer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Common sense is a dying trait in the human race. Hard to understand why emergency procedures aren't drilled nto new drivers.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
Isn't shutting off the ignition a really bad idea? You lose power steering and brakes. Much better to shift to neutral, feather the ebrake to a stop, then hope you can kill your ignition before your motor blows.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Isn't shutting off the ignition a really bad idea? You lose power steering and brakes. Much better to shift to neutral, feather the ebrake to a stop, then hope you can kill your ignition before your motor blows.
I don't remember that being a concern at the time.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
This is the first time I have seen an "Unintended Acceleration" on an Xterra.

Woman's SUV speeds out of control in Mercer Island - seattlepi.com

Whenever I hear about these things one thought pops into my mind: WHY DON'T THESE IDIOTS SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION TO NEUTRAL?"
I always wonder the same thing. I had a Honda Prelude do that to me a long time ago and my first reaction was to grab the key, turn it off and brake.

You don't lose the brakes, you lose the power brakes so it's just harder to press them. The ebrake is direct cable in ours so no need for the truck to be running to use it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
...not knowing how a vehicle really works outside of the normal park, drive, reverse, lock, unlock, brake and steer.
This. Although you can cross out "reverse" in quite a few cases as well.

It's both sad and terrifying really.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I always wonder the same thing. I had a Honda Prelude do that to me a long time ago and my first reaction was to grab the key, turn it off and brake.

You don't lose the brakes, you lose the power brakes so it's just harder to press them. The ebrake is direct cable in ours so no need for the truck to be running to use it.
You should have enough pressure in the lines for one more power brake. And if you hold the button down on the ebrake instead of using the ratchet mechanism, you can keep from locking up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It must have been a first gen X. The second gen's break signal overrides the throttle.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
People are so damn stupid. Barefoot hit the nail on the head. People don't know how to operate a vehicle. They just know how to make it go in a direction more or less. How said is it that she needed someone else to tell her how to STOP it. Making a phone call came as a first though before neutral, killing the ignition, yanking the ebrake, steering it into a wall or guardrail and grinding it to a stop......

Human race is doomed.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Probably a floor mat.

I had a throttle spring break on my carb once when I was ~16 and it was a little scary at first, butnothing that wasn't hard to fix by going in neutral and shutting off ignition.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Emergency procedures? We in SC can't get people to not drive in the left hand lane unless passing, or pull to the right when an emergency vehicle is approaching. lol
Yea... I've been told I live in a fantasy world... Thinking the average person can think realistically with common sense...

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Turning off the ignition could be a bad idea for people who can't keep cool under stress...if that lady turned it one step too far (easy to do under stress), the steering wheel could lock up and at that point she would have had bigger problems.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Our xterras don't lock until the key is removed but I see what you are saying. Even then, if you kill the ignition, you are killing the power source. I'd kill the power source before I'd let it make me hit something full throttle.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Brakes are always stronger than engines. I believe Car and Driver did a whole series of tests on all kinds of cars that proved this several years back.
In nearly every reported case over the past few decades, the evidence points to human error, not car flaws, including Toyotas and all other makes.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Brakes are always stronger than engines. I believe Car and Driver did a whole series of tests on all kinds of cars that proved this several years back.
In nearly every reported case over the past few decades, the evidence points to human error, not car flaws, including Toyotas and all other makes.

Car and driver did do that test. Brakes always won. There was only one instance where they got the car to not stop. 120MPH keep the gas pedal floored and hit the brakes. The brakes overheated and the car slowed to 10mph and held that speed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-deal-with-unintended-acceleration

1 - 20 of 23 Posts