Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet in Denver July 1st and run down to Ouray / Silverton. Lots of free camping or stay in town. Whole week or as long as you can stay. 90% of the trails can be done stock.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely interested. What route are you taking? I'm out in GJ.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Either of going towards GJ and down or doing like I did last year going thru South Park and over Tin Cup pass and going overland to Lake City. So many ways to go. Wife has never been West of Loveland Pass. Just depends on timing.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Either of going towards GJ and down or doing like I did last year going thru South Park and over Tin Cup pass and going overland to Lake City. So many ways to go. Wife has never been West of Loveland Pass. Just depends on timing.
While it'd be great to see the group rolling through my neck of the woods, it sounds like your route from last year would be a lot more entertaining. I-70 to GJ and south on 50 would be the quickest, but the super slab gets boring even up and over the mountains.

I'll have a 3 month old at that point (first kid), but it'd be great to meet you all down there for a day or two if I can get away. I'd probably come on a lighter day given my limited trail experience. I'm very excited to see a group might head down there though - thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
65 Posts
im headed out your way to do the Denver (kids live there ) to Ouray but not gonna make the trip from florida till about the 10th(in Denver).
Ifyou have the time... posting your route would be extremely helpful... save me many hours of sorting out a good overland route.
thanks

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm interested, mostly stock but probably would be able to make it. Interested in the route as well so i can check it out and see if i think i can make it in current form, unless i lift by then (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Man, I'm so jealous. I got a glimpse of that region, drove through Engineer pass from Lake City to Ouray in my X. Only if Colorado was closer to NYC!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Meet in Denver July 1st and run down to Ouray / Silverton. Lots of free camping or stay in town. Whole week or as long as you can stay. 90% of the trails can be done stock.
Ironically, I was doing some research for some thing else and just happened to come across your post.

A buddy and I just put together a trip to the Durango area that very week, July 1-7. We'd love to get together and wheel! He's got a more limited schedule than my wife and I, but I'm thinking I'll personally be in town for 4-5 days. We're not sure if we want to run BB or not (I did last year in my Frontier, but would like a crack at it this year in my X), so if that's some thing you'd be down for, I'm totally in. Other than that, we were for sure doing the Alpine Loop, and then I was thinking of taking him through Hurricane Pass and possibly Imogene. If he can/wants to do BB, I'll just link Imogene on the same day.

I'm planning on posting up at Purgatory Resort. Did it last year, and it was the best choice I could've made. A soft bed and a shower were life savers! :grin:

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm apparently still too new to send PM's, but if you'd be interested in joining my buddy and I, let me know!
I'll more than likely will be staying at the Silverton Hostel. Getting in Sunday night from Denver. Lots of options to run trails around there. Plenty to keep busy for the week. Was thinking of doing the Durango-Silverton one day. During the week a lot of the trails I took I was the only one on them. Don't know if I'd do BB again, I got tunnel carpal after that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm apparently still too new to send PM's, but if you'd be interested in joining my buddy and I, let me know!
I'll more than likely will be staying at the Silverton Hostel. Getting in Sunday night from Denver. Lots of options to run trails around there. Plenty to keep busy for the week. Was thinking of doing the Durango-Silverton one day. During the week a lot of the trails I took I was the only one on them. Don't know if I'd do BB again, I got tunnel carpal after that.
In town July 1-7. Let me know if you want to wheel a few trails.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Unless it rains, you may wind up hanging out in Ouray....

Durango, CO - In an extreme move due to continuing fire danger, the U.S. Forest Service plans to close the entire San Juan National Forest to most public entry starting on Tuesday.

The Forest Service will declare a forest-wide Stage 3 fire closure.

The closure order will prohibit entry into the San Juan National Forest, including entry by the general public, most administrative entry by Forest Service employees, and most uses authorized under Forest Service permits and contracts. This means that forest campgrounds, day use areas, roads, and trails will be closed, including wilderness areas, and that hiking, dispersed camping, and other recreational activities are prohibited. Exemptions might be granted on a case-by-case basis with a written authorization from the Forest Service, which would include specific requirements for fire prevention. Exemptions must be requested from the appropriate District Ranger (below). Federal, state, or local officers conducting specific duties are exempt. The McPhee Recreation Area Complex boat ramp and marina will likely remain open but no shoreline use will be allowed.
Entire San Juan National Forest To Be Closed To Public - WESTERNSLOPENOW

·
Registered
414 Posts
The Alpine Loop is all open. There is a group from a local NM 4WD club going up there during the same time frame, for a fundraiser to raise money to buy or build houses for homeless Veterans.

https://www.facebook.com/events/141176466708801/

I hope to get up there this summer. I owe myself Poughkeepsie Gulch, still. Didn't have a winch or lockers last time I was up there, so didn't attempt it. Guess I could have gone down it, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts