Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Xterra SE - 190k
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just recently purchased my first X (08, 4WD, 190k miles). Everything seems solid other than the notorious vibrating idle (haven't been to Nissan to attempt idle air volume relearn yet) And this annoying "whine" under light acceleration. While I'm by no means a master tech, I was a tech for Nissan for a short time and I dont recall ever coming across this is any X's, pathfinders, or frontiers. While driving at say 30 mph, ill give the vehicle a small amount of gas, just enough to maintain speed on a slight grade, and i hear an oscillating whine, or whirring. It goes away as soon as I release the gas pedal. Transmission fluid level/quality is good. T case fluid level/quality is good. Rear differential fluid level/quality is good. U-joints are good. Some fluid looks like it had been slung out over time where the drive shaft enters the transmission, but it isn't a large amount (trans output seal beginning to leak maybe?) Exhaust shields are all tight. I can't tell if the noise goes away at higher RPMs, or if it is just drown out by engine noise. Vehicle is currently free of SMOD, but it possibly could have been a cover up (no evidence to suggest that, just trying to narrow down all possibilities). The radiator appears to be aftermarket, but i did the bypass jist to be safe. I want to put an additional external cooler on, but do not want to strain a potentially damaged transmission. Other than the noise everything is perfect. Vehicle pulls hard, shifts smooth, and does not clunk when shifted into drive or reverse. I am curious as to whether not anyone else has experienced this, and what you did to remedy the problem. Thank you for reading!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Welcome.

Whine could be the oil filter. Google search "oil filter whine site:thenewx.org". That's at least cheap and easy to eliminate yourself. Timing chain whine is a different animal. Hope it's not that.

You can do the idle relearn yourself without a trip to the dealer. Search this site for "idle relearn" and there's a How-To.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra SE - 190k
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

Whine could be the oil filter. Google search "oil filter whine site:thenewx.org". That's at least cheap and easy to eliminate yourself. Timing chain whine is a different animal. Hope it's not that.

You can do the idle relearn yourself without a trip to the dealer. Search this site for "idle relearn" and there's a How-To.
Thank you! I'll give the new oil filter a shot, its almost time for an oil change anyway. While I'm changing the oil, are there any stabilizers you would recommend for the 4 liters? We used MOA at my old job but I don't know if thats just because we had a deal with BG or something.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thank you! I'll give the new oil filter a shot, its almost time for an oil change anyway. While I'm changing the oil, are there any stabilizers you would recommend for the 4 liters? We used MOA at my old job but I don't know if thats just because we had a deal with BG or something.
I had a whine in the oil filter recently. It sounded like the cavitation sound of an automatic transmission going out, but only over 1200rpm. Took me like 5 weeks, a trans fluid drain and fill, power steering fluid replacement and hours spent with my mechanics stethoscope. The STP filter I was using had a bypass valve that opened at too low of a pressure, so every time the engine would hit operating speeds, the oil was bypassing the filter media and just being cycled back into the engine.

When you replace your filter, use a Wix 57055xp filter. It says that it won't fit, but it will. It's a little longer than the recommended filters, which means more filter media surface area. It also has a proper bypass valve with the correct spring rate for the VQ40.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra SE - 190k
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE
Had a suspicion that the noise was rear end related, popped the rear diff drain plug to find some pretty large chunks of what I can only assume are either pinion or spider gears. I was so worried about the transmission I failed to notice a pretty severe rear end problem. So I did the best I could for right now and drained all the burnt fluid, unclogged my breather, filled it with some gear additive and new fluid. Tomorrow after work I'll grab some silicone and pop the rear diff cover off to get any other chunks out. I want to try to make it last as long as I can, but I see a used rear end in my future very soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts