Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of you may remember the pics I posted a while back of my bent/destroyed rear axle shock mounts and swaybar brackets (sans swaybar). Ordered these up from Poly Performance;

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=671&cat=179&page=1

Took the truck over to MWH Fabrication in Eugene, OR. Had the old stuff plasma'd off and the universal shock mounts welded up.

I had to order some new shocks from Greg that were a little bit shorter to account for the new mounting points. Also, the bodies on the old shocks were a bit too long and would have interfered with my ability to stuff the rear.

The other issue I was having with the reservoired shocks was the mounting on the passenger side. When I mounted them last time the reservoir hose fitting was rubbing right up against the body tub. As you can probably guess (and I should have seen it coming) the body shifted on the body mounts enough to move the fitting even more, causing some oil to leak out. There just isn't enough stinkin' room up there. Greg hooked me up with a new, smaller (and adjustable) banjo fitting.

Anyway... here's the old set-up;

And the new.... ;

Getting those old brackets out of there definitely cleans up the axle and improves the ground clearance a little bit. My previous shocks were built to an extended length of 23". I had Greg order the new ones at 21.5. I think my droop ability should be about the same as it was before. I need to go flex it out somewhere and find out.

I'm gonna have Mike over at MWH Fab working on another little project down the road. I'll keep you posted...

:wave:

·
on line
1,340 Posts
Nice work!

·
on line
735 Posts
The devil is in the details..sometimes you have to make the mods for yourself because no factory vehicle is made for what you need. I like it.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Outstanding... the way it should have been designed from the factory! That is one thing I couldn't believe about the new JK's... how low the rear shock mounts are; I think they are at or below the lower CA mount, if memory serves me right. Definitely less for the rocks to reach up and grab now!

·
on line
155 Posts
If the old shocks are still good (the leak in the one side is fixed) then I call dibbs. Hook up an Oregon boy. I'm in Salem and can drive down.

·
on line
463 Posts
Yes, that's a really good job on the mounting and the new shocks.
Looks much cleaner.
great job !

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I got all the parts to do the exact same thing. I was ready to do it when my rear axle gave out. I'll get back to this soon.

Look into either a ubolt flip (which I am not a fan of) or spring plate skid. That now is your only part that can get hung up besides the pumpkin.

·
on line
628 Posts
willgr1 said:
Muz....why are you not a fan of u-bolt flips? i had a guy that live a few apartments down suggest it to me when he was looking over the X a few weeks ago.
Do you literally mean flipping the U bolts into the opposite position they are currently in?

·
on line
628 Posts
What advantage does that give you? It seems to me that the bolts are tucked up in the plate and no more in the way than the springs themselves, then again maybe its far from what I am thinking.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
if you get the u bolt plate caught on a rock and the truck jerks you can break a u bolt....flipping the u bolts will give more ground clearance and make it less likely to get caught up on a rock.

·
on line
628 Posts
I don't believe I have any reason to do this but for future reference what does this kit consist of? What does the end result look like?

·
on line
369 Posts
There has to be some sort of plate on the bottom of the springs to clamp the springs to the axle since the X is SUA. Unless you used those rectangular U-bolts around the leaves and bolted them to some sort of C-shaped plate on top of the axle. That leaves to leaf spring center bolt vulnerable though.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Muzikman said:
I got all the parts to do the exact same thing. I was ready to do it when my rear axle gave out. I'll get back to this soon.

Look into either a ubolt flip (which I am not a fan of) or spring plate skid. That now is your only part that can get hung up besides the pumpkin.
The thought of a spring plate skid had crossed my mind. Have yet to take the time to search the net for fab ideas. Keep us updated if you go for it...

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
USArmyX said:
Spring perch/spring plate same thing?
Spring perch is the piece that welded on to the bottom of the axle that the leaf pack center pin goes through.

Spring plate is the square-ish plate that sits below the leaf springs with holes in each corner for the u-bolts to go through.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts