Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They are going on tomorrow at a local shop.
I have great experiences with that shop.

These are the Load index 116 not LTs

My Xterra is a bone stock '11 PRO4X driven in Florida.
Since I have no heavy accessories installed I wanted to avoid the LTs, the weight of which would be sure to lower my mpgs too much IMO.

It sees very light offroad at the firing ranges but have yet to take it on a proper off-road course.

The Offroad capability for this car is mostly intended for emergencies like crossing highway medians during a traffic jam or providing me with an ability to drive on shoulders etc during other emergencies.
Not looking to do any rock crawling.

I also own a 2008 Pathfinder 4x4 with the V8 which is shod with Yokohama Geolanders G015s.
So my goal is to have my Xterra set up to be slightly more "off-road" than my Pathfinder, which will be my long range cruiser (which has longer wheel base and an independent rear suspension making it better at high speeds, not to mention the V8.).

So as "off-road" as reasonably possible without compromising mpg and noise on highway too much.
Did I make the right choice?
I could still switch them to Hankook Dynapros or the like which that store also sells.
(Maybe even Toyos but the guy said he cant get the Toyos in 265/75-16)

I current have Hankook Dynapro ATM on them.
I've been satisfied with these but wanted something ever so slightly more "offroady" than the Yokohama Geolandars and Hankook Dynapro without compromising noise and mpgs too much.

Reactions: Just a Hunter

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I have this exact tire in 265 75-16

Imo it's an excellent tire, rides well in both dry and wet conditions and is quiet for an AT tire.

To be honest, I have no regrets and would purchase these tires again.

2014 Nissan Xterra S 4x4
Offroading is limited to Georgia hunting clubs and farm land ( muddy, wet and few risks of puncture)

Reactions: bluez

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
2011 PRO-4X and it had AT3-4s on it with about 20K when we bought it with 92K mikes. These tires have sold me on Cooper. We have had them in the rocks of Moab, California desert, Pismo sand dunes, snow in the Sierras, towing our jetskis and another 20K mostly highway and these tires are still smooth and quiet. I will buy another set as soon as we wear them out. I hear people complain about them being softer and the sidewall not being as strong but I know how to pick a line and have had them in the rocks a lot with no issues and they just ride so nice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have them on my Xterra and my Frontier. Both are 265/75/16. I am running 6-ply on the Xterra only because I like to go off road with it, and I thought they might be a little stronger when aired down.

My Xterra has been through most of the trails at Uwharrie on these tires, and I drove cross country last summer from South Carolina out to Colorado and back on these tires. While out in Colorado I ran Medano Pass, Tincup Pass, and Imogene Pass as well as a few gravel/dirt roads to camp sites. So I've been through dirt, gravel, mud and rocky terrain and of course lots of highway on the AT3's. I do air down to around 20 psi on the trails.

These tires have gotten me through everything I have thrown at them. The only thing I have found that these tires really don't like is that sticky yet slick as ice red clay mud, that is the only stuff I've had any trouble with, but even then I was able to get through without help.

They're wearing evenly, and I really don't notice any tread noise. I think you'll do well with them.

·
Registered
Canadian 05 Xterra base with small upgrades.
55 Posts
My last set was AT3 4s. They were great in all weather conditions, but I really burned through them on gravel roads. I didnt get as much tread life as I would have liked. Maybe 30-40,000kms

I went offroading twice with them, when they had 80% and 50%, the second time was no good and I ended up selling them for a meatier tire.

It is a good tire, but I can't recommend them from my experiences.

·
Registered
270 Posts
They will certainly ride a lot better than LT tires, to say the least! They are a good All-terrain, passenger vehicle tires and Consumer Reports has given them good reviews over the last several years.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curt88:
Are these the so called Hybrid tires ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
yes i think they fall into this category. same with other tires such as duratracs, open country r/t, baja atz. kenda klever, ridge grappler etc.. too aggressive to be a traditional a/t tire but not quite a full blown mud tire.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Xterra has been through most of the trails at Uwharrie on these tires, and I drove cross country last summer from South Carolina out to Colorado and back on these tires. While out in Colorado I ran Medano Pass, Tincup Pass, and Imogene Pass as well as a few gravel/dirt roads to camp sites. So I've been through dirt, gravel, mud and rocky terrain and of course lots of highway on the AT3's. I do air down to around 20 psi on the trails.
I understand you did those trails with the LT version of these tires.
Would you feel comfortable doing them in the P rated version (since that is what I got) ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I understand you did those trails with the LT version of these tires.
Would you feel comfortable doing them in the P rated version (since that is what I got) ?
I have the P-Rated version on my Frontier, but I do not take that truck off-road. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable doing those trails on P-Rated tires. Most of the guys I was out there with were on regular P-Rated tires. You might cut a sidewall on them a little easier than on a higher load rated tire, but as long as you're not careless out there you should be fine. Be sure to air down when needed so the tires can better conform to the surface.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have not challenged them yet but like their tread pattern look and ride (I know not a lot of data)
I did notice they seem to soak up the small rocks and not let them go easily.
Los of little rocks stuck in the tread after a range visit and they dont work themselves loose has to be done by yours truly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I run the Cooper RTXs on my 2005. 10 ply LT and Load Range E. Overkill for its weight, but I’ll trade the slightly stiffer ride for more puncture resistance. 20,000 miles and still look new.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Vehicle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts