Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Optima Yellowtop D34 Battery

7K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  InlandX 
#1 ·
Can't seem to find the answer to this simple question. If it's been answered please just point me there and I'll be happy to read on.

Other than the wiring headache, can an Optima Yellowtop D34 mount in the stock location? Will the stock battery tray and mounting brackets work with this battery? If not, will they work with a similar AGM battery from another manufacturer that anyone knows of?

#6 ·
Thanks for the answer about mounting, at least I'll know something that dimension will fit.

Regarding their failure rate though. I mean I had read people had a few bad apples, but people are much more likely to speak up when they had a negative experience. How many people had good ones. But then I see 2 of you had several bad ones back to back (to back) and that is really eye opening... Ok, may do a bit more research. I didn't realize it was quite that bad!

#7 · (Edited)
I have the yellow top as well. Not for too long though, about 7 months at this point. Its been fine so far, but too short to really tell. The warranty is good on them, and its nice that they are a deep cycle battery (meaning their charging capacity isn't reduced when drained as a standard battery is).

When researching batteries I too found the negative comments on the Optima. That thier quality had gone down. Apparently they had switched manaufactoring facilities and in the transition quality suffered. I did read a comment (on here actually and other review sites) that the issues had been addressed and as long as you grab a battery that's been made recently you should be OK. For reference: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21343&page=9

I'll see, how it goes. But the way I figure it, Advance Auto is pretty good at battery warranties / returns. I wanna say 3 year free replacement, but I'd have to check. Usually Advance has 20% coupons each month too.

#8 ·
like others have said, optima batteries are not what they used to be. they also don't do as well as conventional batteries when used as 'house' batteries rather than starting batteries, and a bad alternator/leaky diode will usually kill an optima before you swap the alternator. i would get a diehard platinum from sears or a duralast gold from autozone and call it good.

#20 ·
Yeah, had me chasing around what I thought was an electrical drain or charging issue for awhile. I even went to far as to install a battery protector (my shameless how to plug: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93314).

The protector I don't really mind, since that is good insurance. I suspect the battery was performing poorly months ago - but wasn't truly evident (and unavoidable) until the last cold snaps. Truck couldn't sit for more than 1 night without the battery protector kicking in and 2 nights, it just flat out wouldn't start without a jump pack or a couple hours on the trickle.

Fingers crossed this 2nd one is better. It "passed" AutoZone's (quick) battery test, but they still honored the warranty. I had a battery in my old Infiniti that was this way and it took a deep test (several hours) to show it had an internal failure. I'm figuring this is similar.

Trucks starting much better and can sit.

#23 · (Edited)
There is one thing that not many people know about the optima batteries. there is actually a lot that goes into caring for them.

1. you aren't supposed to let the battery drop below 12.9 volts for a red top
and 13.1 volts for a yellow top.

2. before the initial install of any optima battery you should first charge the battery for 24 hours before use(trickle charge).

ive had my yellow top d34 for about 3 years now and I can still listen to radio without the X running for hours while camping. and still have no problems starting to charge the battery or to drive. I just haven't had any problems with the battery at all.

however on the flip side, in my job we use optima batteries for everything. out of the 300+ pieces of equipment that has them, we replace batteries at a minimum of once a week. those are all red tops running mostly just a starting cycle, and then with a continuous charge from a high power alternator during a few hour operation.

I can see both sides of this argument, im a fan of optima batteries, and I can hate them at the same time.

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.