Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now i have yellow luminex bulbs
and im thinking about trying out the Optilux Bulbs.

i remember seeing a post on here with pics up of the Optilux Bulbs..

but i was wondering if anybody has had any Optilux Bulbs before and which one they had and liked....

They have 2 Bulbs the "extreme xp" or "xenon white xb"

and the Extreme XP is "HB5 12V 65/55W"
but the
Xenon White XB is "HB5 12V 100/80W"

Has anybody tried both of these or any one of these..

·
on line
268 Posts
Likely to melt your headlight wire harness with that second set (100/80), unless you upgrade the wires to a thicker diameter to handle the additional load. I'm not certain how stout the wires are in the X, but in my previous car guys were upgrading to higher wattage bulbs and melting the harnesses.

·
on line
631 Posts
ive had 100W/80W bulbs before... melted the inside of the connector. i replaced the bulbs with the factory ones, took it to nissan and they replaced the connecter under warranty. it was a $12 part that took 30 minutes to replace. ive seen worse tho. 2002 altima with high wattage bulbs melted the whole headlamp assembly. bulbs were too hot for the plastic and *poof* everything melted. so yea, i wouldnt get the high wattage bulbs unless you upgrade the harness... but even then i still wouldnt get em.

·
on line
259 Posts
I have the extreme XP and love them, the other ones are the cheezy blue bulbs and are too hot, too bright, and illegal for street use.

·
on line
874 Posts
what would you have to do to upgrade the wiries just buy that kit for $10-$20 off of ebay....that only changes the last 6inches of wire??? how does that help

·
on line
1,638 Posts
That upgrade wiring harness has always puzzled me. It just plugs into the end of the stock harness. You're still using the stock wiring. I don't understand the claims of brighter lights with the harness and the ability to handle higher wattage bulbs..

·
on line
874 Posts
exactly my question.....any one got an answer, MC???? Mazuki???? anybody?

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
could it be because of the heat of the bulb? Maybe the bulb gets too hot and melts the connector? The new harness can't do anything about the current traveling through the whole wire, but it keeps the hot bulb away from the factory plug. any ideas?

·
on line
268 Posts
all that will do is melt the wires 6-inches further back. It's not the heat of the bulb. It's the resistance and extra load (probably not the right terminology here, but you get the point I hope) on the wire that heats it up and causes it to melt.

·
on line
53 Posts
where can i get a set of the extreme xp? i have looked at advance auto parts and autozone. no luck so far. they had not even heard of optilux. any help?!

·
on line
631 Posts
since when did Amazon.com start selling automotive parts?? first time i've seen that!

·
on line
250 Posts
You will get two areas that heat up due to the higher bulb current, the bulb and the wiring.

As Driver X said, the extra heat from the bulb may melt the headlight assembly. You can only really use the higher wattage bulbs in the glass headlamp assemblies that replace the sealed beam halogen lamps. Even then, the heat from the bulb deformed the polycarbonate lens protectors that I had installed in front of the lamps.

Using an additional 6 inches of thick wire will not prevent your wiring harness from melting. The bulb current flows in a loop from your battery, through a fuse, through your headlamp switch, to your bulb then back to the battery through the chassis. ALL of the wires and components in the loop must be capable of handling the higher current. The headlight switch on my Volvo started smoking after I ran 100W bulbs. You need to install relays to switch the current to your headlamps. These relays would be controlled by the existing headlamp switch. The following web page shows how to do this properly.

www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

Phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts