Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am putting 4.56 gears in my X and I was planning to buy a rear bumper.

When I was looking at the rugged rocks website, I noticed that they actually have ARBs for the M205 in stock.

So now Im torn......

I wanted a rear bumper because my spare currently sits on the roof and my high lift is under my rear seat. I also still have my tow hitch since I have no other rear recovery point and it constantly scrapes.

However, getting the ARB and getting it put in at the same time as the gears is appealing.

I cant do the gears and ARB install myself so Im looking at $885 for the gears and an extra $550 for the ARB.

With the extra money for the locker and the extra install money Im looking at an extra 650 bucks.

My concern is Ive yet to come across anything I cant conquer right now with just a rear locker but is it worth it to get the front now?

For those of you that have a front locker? Is it a HIGHLY noticeable difference?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If Rugged Rocks still has a front locker in stock, and you think you may have use of it in the future, it may be worth considering since last I heard there may not be another run of M205 lockers and there will be no shortage of rear bumpers anytime soon.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
If you plan on a front locker, and are doing gears now, absolutely do the locker at the same time. It's way easier than doing it all twice. And are you saying that they would charge you an additional $550 labor to do the locker while they are already doing gears? If so find another shop for sure! If they are already doing gears, the locker is almost no additional work. It should be less than an hour additional labor.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
21SF, the 550 is just the labor for the locker install. If I got the locker instead of the bumper it would be about $120 bucks more in parts but thats why I said it would be about $650 more total. None of the math is precise. I just rounded to make it easier.

Surf,

Yeah! Thats what Im saying. They would already have the diff pulled but the guy says that they dont charge by the hour but have a set charge for each job.

The only thing he said he took off was the charge for diff fluid on the locker install.

This is 4wheelparts. I thought a major company like that would be able to use common sense.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When is the next time you will see this inside of your diff? When is the next time you will see your bumper? Take the longest time and there's your decision.

Besides, the bumper isn't going to get you un-stuck any faster than your tow hitch will. The locker IMHO is worth far more when wheeling.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Besides, the bumper isn't going to get you un-stuck any faster than your tow hitch will.
Gotcha but it would increase my departure angle immensly. That was one of the reasons for wanting a bumper. As it is right now, the piece that holds on the trailer electronics connection is attached by about 3/4 of an inch of metal because its been bent up and then back into place so many times its about to fall off. Like taking the pull tab off a soda can.

Im really leaning toward the locker but like I said, Ive put the X through some hairy stuff and its conquered all so far. With an exception or two. Then theres the fact I gotta tell my wife about spending a few hundred extra dollars.

On a good note I found another shop in town that will do the whole install, including the ARB for $850. Thats $35 less than 4wheelparts wanted for just the gears.

I know the locker significantly increases the strength of the diff internally but what kind of stress does it put on the CV axles? Ive run 'em in jeeps Ive owned but never had a front locker in an IFS rig.

All you guys with a front ARB in the M205, please post your reviews of it.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Im not so sure its actually in stock. The first batch of 50 are all accounted for and sold. There was talk of ARB doing another run but a smaller one. Not sure if they actually made those yet. I would give Steve a call before placing the order online.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Is the m205 in the truck or out of it ? If it is then the install with it out of the truck should not take more then 2-3hrs if they are charging $550 thats about $180 per hour thats insane . If its in the truck maybe you could remove it and drop it off to save $$.
I would shop around on prices for the job.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im not so sure its actually in stock. The first batch of 50 are all accounted for and sold. There was talk of ARB doing another run but a smaller one. Not sure if they actually made those yet. I would give Steve a call before placing the order online.
I called them before I posted this. Thats why Ive become torn. He has 6 in stock.

Is the m205 in the truck or out of it ? If it is then the install with it out of the truck should not take more then 2-3hrs if they are charging $550 thats about $180 per hour thats insane . If its in the truck maybe you could remove it and drop it off to save $$.
Its going to be in the truck. Like I said I found another shop that will do the whole thing for 850. Thats including mounting the air compressor and running the air lines and switch.

I talked to a friend today who is going to look up one of his connections and see if he can get the install done for less than $850 so well see.

Either way, I talked to the wife last night and she said OK to the extra money for the locker so it has been decided.

Ill have my first ARB air locker soon.:headbang:

Thanks for all your opinions.

·
on line
452 Posts
If you plan on a front locker, and are doing gears now, absolutely do the locker at the same time. It's way easier than doing it all twice. And are you saying that they would charge you an additional $550 labor to do the locker while they are already doing gears? If so find another shop for sure! If they are already doing gears, the locker is almost no additional work. It should be less than an hour additional labor.

I agree with both the above statements. It would probably be nice to get your HiLift out of the truck and spare tire off the roof, but the locker with benefit you far more off road.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
about half of the departure angle you gain from getting rid of the hitch, you'll lose with the swingout carrier. granted you'd have to come off a pretty tall obstacle to do it but the angle is there. also, something i noticed in moab was that everyone running shackles was scraping them all over the place, as bad as people scraping the hitch. if you're going to do shackles or already have them, you'll have the same problems in a different spot in the rear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts