Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got replace all 4 tires on my SE. I run stock size and do mostly city/highway vs major off roading. I may once a month go off the beaten path but that's gravel roads type of stuff. I've only gone major off roading once in 2yrs. That being said, need opinions/feedback on a couple tire choices. The dealership has 3 options for me the standard OE BFGoodrich Long Trail TAs, Dunlop Rover HT or Goodyear Assurance Tripletred. The last one has the best wear protection and UTOG rating but am leary of symmetrical tires due to rotating/balancing limited options. The other 2 are asymmetrical. Would look elsewhere but they're comping on balance/rotate and alignment plus their doing buy 3 get 4th for $1.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Check out this link.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

Tire rack has thousands of people reviewing tires from all kinda of driving styles.

Click on the option that best suits your driving taste and see how each tire ranks in that category.

Right above that section, there are three tabs. Two other ones that will give you different insight to the tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
74 Posts
Definitely check out the tire rankings at tirerack and discounttire.

The other tire you might want to consider is the Hankook Dynapro ATM. Cheap, quiet, smooth ride, very good on the road and not bad for occasional offroading (short of mudding).

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Definitely check out the tire rankings at tirerack and discounttire.

The other tire you might want to consider is the Hankook Dynapro ATM. Cheap, quiet, smooth ride, very good on the road and not bad for occasional offroading (short of mudding).

Good luck!
I run those on the MX, had some use on them when I got it a year ago so I need to replace them now. However, they are good tires. Never really had an issue with them, only reason I ever got stuck or didn't have traction was due to Driver Error on my part. They do get loud when unbalance, like, REALLY loud - which is good thing if you think about it, nice warning sign. But I got great gas milage, great onroad/offroad traction, and the wear has been really even all around.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Kelly Safari TSR, I have 50k miles on mine and hardly rotate them, my worst tire is at 10/32nds. They look agressive but have good road manners, won't let you down in rain,snow,or shine. Plus they are very good offroad. They will hum a little, but not obnoxious. And they are lasting me well beyond what I thought they would.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Kelly Safari TSR, I have 50k miles on mine and hardly rotate them, my worst tire is at 10/32nds. They look agressive but have good road manners, won't let you down in rain,snow,or shine. Plus they are very good offroad. They will hum a little, but not obnoxious. And they are lasting me well beyond what I thought they would.
The TSRs are a different version of the Duratrac, just so you have an idea of what to expect with that tire :) Also, keep in mind the closest size to stock (that I've found in my research) for the TSR is 265/70/R17 which is just the eensiest hair bigger than SE stock (though the diameter would be more in line with the stock size 265/70/16 that the S and X trims wear).

I've seen a few guys running BFG Rugged Terrains (not to be confused with Rugged Trails, which we of course call Rugged Fails here). They seem to be a step above the Rugged Trails, still road-oriented but with some strong off-road flavor.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I think we're off track here guys. It was those tired o mentioned originally.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
took me a min to understand, but I get it. You really have to choose between the 3 tires mentioned. If that is the case I would use the comparison tool at tire rack. It will let you compare ratings, reviews, etc. Honestly I have come to find out that tires are like oil, everyone has their preference. There are always going to be the crowd favorites, always going to be the super expensive ones, and always going to be the economical ones. One set of tires might be amazing to one person and horrible for another. Especially on here since we have people who hardcore wheel, weekend wheel, and people who barely wheel. On top of that - we have people all over the country, so everyone has different road types and climates.

Check out the comparison tool - I have seen tire discussions turn to war before on here.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did the tirerack thing last night. However I did the same with the Yokohamas too. Those damn things didn'work out

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Will they still give you the comp on balance/align if you bring the tires to them?
If so it will greatly improve your options, and you have the entire internet to shop from!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I initially decided to go with Dunlops but the dealership got tires from disctibutor that were defective. I dropped my X yesterday but decided to pick it up and go with Firestone and their Destination LE2s. Albeit a H/T tire their are several reviews on Tirerack stating it handle some light off roading. To keep the costs down I'm going with a taller tire (70 vs 65) but same width of 265 in a 17. This shouldn't cause any problems if I'm on stock ridge height should it? I don't want it to reduce turning radius, etc. 4 tires with balance/rotate, alignment and taxes around $700.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would find a tires plus or Kauffman near you and take the deal from the dealership to them and see if they will beat, most advertise that they will. I would also look at a decent all terrain and in that category you can't go wrong with Nitto or Toyo. They are made by the same people but are a great tire and reasonably priced. I'm personally not a fan of general maintenance being done by dealerships because I try to save those trips for more serious vehicle specific issues, but either way use price matching at other stores to get the best deal from whomever you choose. Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts