Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to do a suspension upgrade at some point and wanted a second, third, fourth opinion...

My 05 OR has 102k miles on it, and bottoms out in the rear pretty badly when I have 4 people in it or just a lot of gear. I'm assuming the rear leafs are stock (and shot), and the shocks were swapped out at some point before me (there are Monroe's instead of Bilstiens back there). The fronts still look original.

What I am looking for is something that will give me between stock to slightly lifted height after adding the weight of full Shrock skids and sliders, and then eventually either:

1 - A Dephep rack with 2nd spare tire and fuel cans on the roof or
2 - A rear bumper with 2nd spare/fuel swing arms

In either case the 2nd spare and fuel will probably only be on when going on a trip.

The front bumper will likely remain stock. Stock OR tire size as well.

After a bunch of research I'm thinking about Nisstec's Complete OME suspension setup without the shackles (http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?p...tegory_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72)

Does this sound like a good choice to you? And if so, would you suggest the 607 or the 608 HD front coils for the weight I'm looking at carrying?

Is this a complete kit, or do I need to add anything additional to get it all to work on the X? I don't think I need to extend the brake lines with this setup, is that correct? For those who have used this setup, how does it effect the ride one and off the road?

And one other thing - Nisstec sells two versions of that kit, one with and one without shackles. I'm a suspension noob here, so what is the difference between the two kits if they both list the same amount of lift?

Thanks much

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I'm running the OME with 607s and they carry my stock front and Hefty skids just fine, though I want some more lift now (my rear has been augmented with shackles, and I'll be adding spacers to the front). 608s might be a little stiff for that weight. You may potentially consider the OME HD leaf packs/AAL for the back but they may not be necessary either.

The kit with the shackles come with a non-lifting replacement for the stock shackle - not going to do anything. The stock shackles are just fine and I ran with them for about a year, though the OME ones might be beefier. Again, no impact on lift.

You shouldn't need to extend brake lines, a 1.5" lift is well within the stock range of flex for those. I would suggest, though, that you request the solid steel shims rather than the ones that come with the kit, which are ribbed for her pleasure and made of a softer metal. Also be prepared for the possibility that your lower control arm bolts are seized - you might want to order new control arms and cam bolts in case you have to cut them off.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also be prepared for the possibility that your lower control arm bolts are seized - you might want to order new control arms and cam bolts in case you have to cut them off.
Fantastic, thanks much for all of the info! If I do this kit I'll consider new CAs and bolts but so far everything I've removed from the truck has come off OK. My corrosion/seizing doesn't seem bad, likely since I'm not dealing with salty roads in California. One of my old trucks however that spent some time on the east coast... yikes.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
In general, it's a good idea to replace hardware in moving parts - they get stretched out, stressed out, et cetera. So I would replace them while everything is apart, otherwise you're just going to have to do it again.

Your 05 should have them stock, but newer Xs don't.

One more thing - the OME coilovers have short mounting studs. It's fine for a straight install, but if you want to add a spacer down the line you'll have to get them replaced with longer ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts