Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lurking around the 4runner forums last night, which have some pretty cool modded 5th gens on there, and found this grill a guy did.

Thinking of doing this to the X, with "NISSAN" across it. What do you guys think? Also, it looked like he used a fine metal mesh for the black part, would this affect the radiator in any way in terms of cooling?

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
ah yes, the satoshi mod. I REALLY want to do this on my x. I've just never gotten around to cutting the supports out of the 05-09 grill.

there's a thread on here from a ways back where we talked about it.... lemme see if i can find it

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i think it looks better on that 4runner than the one I saw on the Xterra
if it's the xterra that i'm thinking of, then yes, you are correct. a big cardboard XTERRA across the front is not good.

N I S S A N

or even

D A T S U N

would look good

THIS is the truck that made me want to do it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember seeing that truck as well, it was BA!

Good idea Delta with the DATSUN emblem, hell, even an old Datsun badge like this one in the bottom right corner of a mesh all black grill would look cool

·
on line
10,980 Posts
hell, even an old Datsun badge like this one in the bottom right corner of a mesh all black grill would look cool
This!! I want it ... although, strictly speaking, Datsuns were only ever cars (as I understand, Nissan wasn't sure about risking their name/reputation in the US market, so they initially used the Datsun moniker). The Xterra's heritage would probably best be traced back through the Patrol (if you're willing to take a bit of license), which has always been Nissan ... even the few that were sold here in the US in the 60s.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
This!! I want it ... although, strictly speaking, Datsuns were only ever cars (as I understand, Nissan wasn't sure about risking their name/reputation in the US market, so they initially used the Datsun moniker). The Xterra's heritage would probably best be traced back through the Patrol (if you're willing to take a bit of license), which has always been Nissan ... even the few that were sold here in the US in the 60s.
Datsun didnt just do cars. They sold pickups here in the US as well. My wife's first vehicle when she was a teen was a little Datsun pickup. I think Creeks pickup might be a Datsun too.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Datsun didnt just do cars. They sold pickups here in the US as well.
Well don't I feel the right idiot about now ... I know this, rather like the little 620s; in fact one of my favorite truggy crawler builds is a 620 based rat-rod looking thing over on Pirate ... ::SMH::
I think Creeks pickup might be a Datsun too.
Indeed it is, a 720 with Toy axles & t-case ... apparently I didn't get enough coffee this morning.

Other notable Datsun pickup trucks are Clay's diesel crawler build and the lowered ones from Ratsun, that I posted links to in the 'Another Suspension Opinion' thread.

... and now back to our regularly scheduled program.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speaking of the 720s, I just pulled the trigger on the truck emblem for them that I posted above.

The emblem is faded to hell, but I'm pretty handy at restoring things. I got one from Oregon for $35 on ebay. Some guy in Kuwait sells them in great condition, but I dont want to have to wait until November and didnt like the "buyer pays any additional customs fees" lingo.

Im going to rip out my grill and replace with a flat mesh metal one like the photo in first post, stoked!

·
Registered
482 Posts
If anyone actually does this please post pics. It's got me interested as well!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I'm thinking about doing it w/ mine. Just chopped mine up and put some new mesh in it.
The mesh is attached to some little tabs with a small loop on top. Just epoxied them and used zip ties.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
There's a guy on here who was making custom burgers.... I'm sure he could easily make whatever you want. I can't remember his UserName

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GDP, you're doing the lettering or the Datsun emblem?

I was going to try to salvage some of the existing grill since I like the shape of it (since it is 3 dimensional and not flat) but i dont think its going to happen with that damn flat piece still there with the badge removed. Dont think I can go over it with the mesh since it would still be visible im thinking?

Here's a pic of it on the 720, i will be redoing the colors so they will be a deeper red/blue

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm thinking about doing it w/ mine. Just chopped mine up and put some new mesh in it.
The mesh is attached to some little tabs with a small loop on top. Just epoxied them and used zip ties.

What kind of mesh? Or rather, what did you use to make this?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I got the mesh from Lowe's. A buddy of mine did the rest. I just supplied the mesh. He has a plastic welder and used bondo and all that stuff. It's not perfect but I think it's fantastic. I need to sand it down a bit more in the spots where the middle \ / was but you can't really tell.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's a site that does custom lettering if no one wants to screw around making the letters, which is something that has to look perfect or it looks like crap.

http://www.customcargrills.com/Grill-Letters.asp

I am going to buy some of the mesh off these guys, relatively cheap. All the precut custom grills on the internet keep the center hole for the Nissan 2nd gen for the emblems, doesnt help me out with what im looking for.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the Datsun emblem on Saturday, highly wweathered. I sanded and did two coats of the white, red and blue. I'm going to paint all the chrome black tomorrow along with the background after doing another couple coats. The grill materials should be here Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts