Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
I believe the 2nd Gen Xterras are all future classics like late 90s 4Runners.
I would not hand one to a highschooler.

Reactions: Fish

·
Registered
88 Posts
Especially with the insurance increases that will come with a new driver.
Then there's this - the new driver hit is real, with two of them, and one is nearly 20 now, we are just starting to see our rates inch back down. The dented fender won't help, but its our first claim ever (other than hail) so we will hope for the best. But it hurts that our monthly insurance rate is more than the mortgage on our first condo.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Starting her driving on a stick shift will put her miles above the other kids her age - who mostly are learning on automatic transmissions. Seriously if she can drive a stick she can drive anything... except maybe three on a tree - but that's a kind of a different ball game right there.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
106 Posts
2006 6 spd is about to be my daughters first car. I bought a 2010 off road to replace the 2006 S model. It has a 2” lift and I plan to put 1.5” wheel spacers on it to help with stability. Also plan aftermarket stereo with backup camera and phone capabiliy

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
588 Posts
I learned to drive stick on my dad's mustang gt. That is probably why I am so into cars now. At the same time he bought me a 1998 Mazda 626 5 spd but due to him working the furthest away he drove that car, my mom drove the mustang, and I drove her Silverado to high school. I drove the 626 to hockey and work after he got home. I had to pay for gas if I was going anywhere but school, work, and hockey and for the insurance on the 626. When leaving for college, I had the option to buy one of the other two vehicles or take the 626 for free. I took the 626. As much as I loved the other vehicles, the fuel economy and not caring if the car got beat up were the deciding factors. It also had the lowest maintenance costs.

I put well over 100k miles on the Mazda in 4 years at university. Then another 20k after graduation before giving the car away with nearly 300k miles. I don't know if Xterras are as reliable as the mazda but that would be something to consider. The less I had to spend on the car, the better. The rest of my money went into doing things in college which I think is a very important part of the whole experience. I also had to pay my own way and took out a whole hell of a lot in student loans to cover my lifestyle, schooling, and living expenses... including gas and any car repairs (thankfully, no repairs were needed). I am still paying these loans off. Having something super cheap, reliable, and fuel efficient may be a better option long term. Wanted to provide my story as some food for thought. I love my Xterra but don't think it would have been the best option for me during my early driving years.

Now, just learning to drive, I think it is an awesome choice. The Xterra is a very forgiving vehicle to learn stick on.

Funny enough, I daily drive my mom's old 2001 Silverado now. Just rolled over 300k miles and is all original. The fact it still gets better MPG than my Xterra kills me.

Reactions: mtnbound and Fish

·
Registered
8 Posts
As opposed to what?

The Xterra is less than ideal -- just too much "stuff" to have to pay attention to - stick, 4wd (when, how, speed, other precautions), high center of gravity, etc. She gonna change a tire? The stick isn't any benefit -- they won't exist in 5 years. Teenagers are rarely underconfident about anything - BEWARE.

If ya' got the $$, get something more appropriate for who she is. Toyota Corolla is the lowest cost of operations vehicle.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Techincally she should be added to the X' insurance as well, so insc is gonna go up either way. I would not use the X as her learning vehicle.

A. rollover risk
B. new clutch
C. accidents
D. its alot of vehicle to control, esp with a manual.

I agree to try and find a super cheap beater to teach on, then either just give it to her or sell it.

now, if you can get her to learn how to clutch/ shift in a parking lot or something, and it seems she is quick to catch on, I might be a little more inclined to use the X as purely a learner. it would be good to learn on a vehicle that you have to be careful with in the turns( as opposed to learning on something that is virtually impossible to roll like a sedan and then going to something top heavy, they can be over confident).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I say aside from burning up the clutch and the cost of gas (which really will teach her the value of money), there is no downside.
As far as the dangerous roll over potential...allow me to share a firsthand experience. I rolled my 05, off road during a freak winter storm at highway speeds. It moved in quickly and in the span of 2 miles, roads went from damp to black ice (it's Colorado, so no surprise to those of us who live here). When I hit the ice, the X nosed left, then back right and decided it was going to slide broadside, toward the grassy cloverleaf area of an overpass. Yes I attempted all the prescribed corrective measures. When it was apparent, that I was along for the ride, I reached down, pulled the seat belt up tight, toward my left shoulder and hung on. The tires hit the edge of the grass, the front drivers quarter panel took out a large light pole and it rolled once, coming to rest on the driver side door. I climbed out of the passenger window. The only injury was a cut on my knuckle (right hand) where my hand had come off the steering wheel and hit the windshield. The more vexing issue was the X and my stuff strewn all over the place, that I then had to go and retrieve, in what was by then, heavy snow.
Point is, while luck and years of my grandmother's prayers were surely involved, The X protected me and that could be seen by the shape of the body, around the driver's area. Note, that the State trooper who responded and took my statement, said there were numerous accidents within the next 5 miles of highway, with one fatality and they were in the process of closing the hwy.

Yes, there are many stories with opposite outcomes, but I think the X is safer and has more stable feet, than people give it credit for. I have been squeezed out of an inside lane onto a muddy median, and thought I was going to flip it, only to have the vehicle respond to inputs and put me back on the highway (at speed) and in control.

So, I would say it's safe enough, she will have a better vantage point "above" most of the sedans and she'll learn to drive a stick.
By the way, when the insurance company wrote me a check for $11,800.00 for the totaled roll over, I went out and found another Off Road X and bought it!!

Hope those 2 pennies help.

·
Registered
2010 Nissan Xterra
1 Posts
I have a 10 xterra Off Road wth 110k and a 6 speed manual transmission. My daughter is starting drivers ed and will need a car to learn in and eventually drive on her own. Do you think the manual Xterra is to much vehicle for a new driver? It is in excellent condition and everything works properly. Yes, no, maybe? She doesn't seem intimidated, but I don't want to put her in a bad spot. Thoughts?....
N
I have a 10 xterra Off Road wth 110k and a 6 speed manual transmission. My daughter is starting drivers ed and will need a car to learn in and eventually drive on her own. Do you think the manual Xterra is to much vehicle for a new driver? It is in excellent condition and everything works properly. Yes, no, maybe? She doesn't seem intimidated, but I don't want to put her in a bad spot. Thoughts?....
No...I don't think it's too much vehicle for a new driver. ANNND far too many "Young Ones" out there, do not know how to even drive a stick! A GREAT thing for her to learn! Maybe like some said here already...teach her on the Xterra. But I agree, get a beater for her to drive, as they usually wreck their first vehicle. And you won't be out a pile of cash or a "Priceless Xterra" 😁.
Best of Luck!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts