Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many threads on here with people achieving high miles on their engines. The leader at the moment is at 350K [https://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-general-xterra/88585-top-mileage-thread-lead-350-000-a.html], which is astoundingly impressive. On the flip side, I ran across a site that had the following to say about the VQ40DE Engine Service Life:
The engine has three timing chains, their service life is about 150,000 miles of mileage (200,000-250,000 km). The valve clearance needs to be adjusted every 60,000 miles of mileage (90,000 km). The Nissan VQ40DE life expectancy is 200,000 miles of mileage (300,000 km).
https://www.engine-specs.net/nissan/vq40de.html
I would like to get people's opinions regarding whether they think the engine life expectancy of 200K is accurate or overly conservative. Also, what do people think about the timing chain service life being 150K? I have seen timing chain kits that include new chains and other parts. Is this something that should be considered a maintenance item or is it better not to open up the engine and just keep the oil changed regularly with a quality synthetic? Lastly, what is meant by the valve clearance needing to be adjusted every 60K? I've never even heard of that before.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
So, i'll bite.

The 150K miles is likely some sort of statistical average. It probably includes the rare early catastrophic failure, like sucking your broken cat into the engine (it happens) to the average commuter that does 12,000 miles per year and minimal maintenance (in which case 150,000 is 12.5 years anyway) to people like me that drive mostly highway and do diligent maintenance, and exceed 300K miles.

Yes, I had to do my timing chains - at about 220K. Others are sooner.

Valve lash only needs to be adjusted if your valves are noisy. The adjustment involves replacing the lifters based on size. No one I know has ever adjusted their lifters on a VQ40. They all rattle at startup. Its a Nissan thing :)

I would say that barring any catastrophic early failure, almost any decent modern engine should get between 200 and 300 thousand miles easy with proper maintenance, and the VQ40 is better than average - IMHO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the response. Very good insights. My initial reaction was it seemed conservative based on what I've seen here on the forums, but then again, I wasn't sure how far off the bell curve this group is from normal.

Yes, I had to do my timing chains - at about 220K.
What was the symptom that told you that you needed to replace your timing chain? My engine is at 168K (overall I'm 232K on the odometer; Nissan had do a free replacement of my engine (long block) due to a botched timing chain guide repair they attempted, boy was that a mess), anyway... I want to know what to watch out for as I approach higher mileage.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I wholeheartedly expect to exceed 250,000 miles on the engine in my 2006.
(The only caveats: selling it for a different Xterra or going with the V8 swap instead of doing the timing chains....)

Every engine has weak points. Every engine needs PM. Every engine has wear items that require replacement at some point.

Outside of those factors, the VQ40 tself is a damn robust design. One of the best I’ve owned. FAR superior to the V8 travesty that Rover used in the Disco/RR for too many years. And on par with the beautifully bulletproof m42 4 banger BMW developed.

I define both valves and timing chains as “eventual” wear items. Some might never need touched. Others may require several visits over time.
The defining factors are hugely varied by vehicle history, PM, abuse and use, etc. BUT, no engine lasts forever. And good maintenance will take most modern engines far past the manufacturers projected obsolesence.

I’m just shy of 140,000. It’ll either be a timing chain job or the V8 swap whenever I start to hear the tell tale “whine”.
(The service history of my X, while pretty comprehensive, never mentions TC replacement.)
Valves? Who knows. Most likely never. But if they need done they’ll get done.

As one of our esteemable veteran members said in another thread, “we are outliers”, who care more for our vehicles than the general public.
We define every problem, address every issue, chase each tiny annoyance til the bitter end.

And we ALWAYS open up the engine.:wink:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
What was the symptom that told you that you needed to replace your timing chain? My engine is at 168K (overall I'm 232K on the odometer; Nissan had do a free replacement of my engine (long block) due to a botched timing chain guide repair they attempted, boy was that a mess), anyway... I want to know what to watch out for as I approach higher mileage.

A whine which is more annoying than listening to a woman complain.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks for the response. Very good insights. My initial reaction was it seemed conservative based on what I've seen here on the forums, but then again, I wasn't sure how far off the bell curve this group is from normal.

Its a telltale whine - sounds like you have a blower. Mine was fainter than most describe. Any Nissan mechanic familiar with it will know in an instant.

Search youtube for Xterra timing chain whine. There are several videos demonstrating the sound.

or search google: site:thenewx.org timing chain symptoms for lists here.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Any Nissan mechanic familiar with it will know in an instant.
If the dealership is willing to admit it's a thing. I presented the TSB to the guys at the local Nissan dealership and even though town is FULL of Nissans, they tried to claim they'd never heard of anything like it before. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its a telltale whine - sounds like you have a blower. Mine was fainter than most describe.
I'm familiar with the timing chain guide sound. I would say that it's a high pitched whine. I assume when the actual timing chain wears out it's a different sort of whine. Comparing it to a blower makes me think the sound is lower pitched. Would you agree?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I have seen many threads on here with people achieving high miles on their engines. The leader at the moment is at 350K [https://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-general-xterra/88585-top-mileage-thread-lead-350-000-a.html], which is astoundingly impressive. On the flip side, I ran across a site that had the following to say about the VQ40DE Engine Service Life:

I would like to get people's opinions regarding whether they think the engine life expectancy of 200K is accurate or overly conservative. Also, what do people think about the timing chain service life being 150K? I have seen timing chain kits that include new chains and other parts. Is this something that should be considered a maintenance item or is it better not to open up the engine and just keep the oil changed regularly with a quality synthetic? Lastly, what is meant by the valve clearance needing to be adjusted every 60K? I've never even heard of that before.
Like all engines, lifespan can be extended if it's maintained well not abused. I'm at ~158000 today, original owner and the first actual repair I had to do was replace the oil pressure sensor at 141,000/11 years after buying it. That's a pretty good track record for any vehicle. I used Mobile 1 full synthetic from the first oil change onward and had to replace the timing chain guides at around 145k so that doesn't have a big impact in my view on 'preventing' the guides from wearing. That said, the guides are plastic for a reason and are a wear item that will eventually need replacement. Lastly, I think that anyone who paid to have their valve clearances adjusted probably also paid for a gallon of full synthetic blinker fluid if you know what I mean. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If the dealership is willing to admit it's a thing. I presented the TSB to the guys at the local Nissan dealership and even though town is FULL of Nissans, they tried to claim they'd never heard of anything like it before. :surprise:
funny, i mentioned it to the service guys at local Nissan while waiting for something else and before i even finished asking the question they said "yep, takes a few days and about $1200.00."

something of comfort, they added" the techs didn't put it on the work order so they must be fine", " they know what it sounds like"

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
funny, i mentioned it to the service guys at local Nissan while waiting for something else and before i even finished asking the question they said "yep, takes a few days and about $1200.00."

something of comfort, they added" the techs didn't put it on the work order so they must be fine", " they know what it sounds like"
I had both experiences. I was in a dealer in NC (I was on a trip) and had a small issue so I swung in to their place to pay them to fix it - since it was near my hotel and I was busy with work. Anyway, I thought the chains were whining but the dealer actually mentioned and quoted it (secondary guides only - maybe $800.00 they said was all that was needed) without me even asking.

Later, back home in SC, I called all three dealers in the area - one quoted "about $2500", the other two wouldn't quote without coming in and paying a diagnostic fee. Needless to say none got my business, and likely won't ever.

Most dealers suck. I guess there area a handful of decent ones too.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I had both experiences. I was in a dealer in NC (I was on a trip) and had a small issue so I swung in to their place to pay them to fix it - since it was near my hotel and I was busy with work. Anyway, I thought the chains were whining but the dealer actually mentioned and quoted it (secondary guides only - maybe $800.00 they said was all that was needed) without me even asking.

Later, back home in SC, I called all three dealers in the area - one quoted "about $2500", the other two wouldn't quote without coming in and paying a diagnostic fee. Needless to say none got my business, and likely won't ever.

Most dealers suck. I guess there area a handful of decent ones too.

A lot of them suck, I'm fortunate to have a good one nearby. I was there picking up some hoses one day and the parts guy saw the year of my X and asked if I'd changed out the guides yet, told me they do a decent amount of those jobs there. About a year later when I started hearing the whine I sent them an email and they came back quickly with a reasonable price and even threw in a loaner.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts