Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a request for you. Can you please put down the cause of the front diff failures i.e what you were doing at that point in time when you noticed the front diff fail on you. Trying to gather as much info as possible. Also area that you got the diff replaced at.

Edited to include the following:

Can someone post this on XOC since I'm not welcome there any more. :D

Thanks,

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I got stuck in a muddy rut going up hill at 3am after pulling a friend of my brothers out.

I think what did it in was falling into the rut with my passanger side tire while giving it a good bit of go-go juice. My wheels were turned sharp left when it fell into the rut.

I had 285/75R16 BFG MT's on stock wheels.

I got it replaced at:

Pittsburgh East Nissan
Monroville, PA (Wilkins)

They covered it under warranty but warned they might not again since I was running tires that were two (2) sizes too big (2 sizes?).

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

·
on line
45 Posts
Haven't been around in a while... why is Dan not welcomed over at XOC??? I really don't get some of the people on that forum.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Swampthing said:
Haven't been around in a while... why is Dan not welcomed over at XOC??? I really don't get some of the people on that forum.
Search and you will find the answer!

Because Dan runs this forum and is a nice guy. :compress:

·
on line
238 Posts
So,

Is this front differential problem occuring only on lifted X's?

Dan

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That I don't know, but it has nothing to do with the lift. If the lift was the problem, we would snapping CV joints, not diffs.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Turtle said:
So,

Is this front differential problem occuring only on lifted X's?

Dan
Nope. Mine is not lifted and am having the same problem

I have 285/75/16 Trailmark Tires

Not sure what exact thing happened when I heard it. It was more of a "What's that noise?" I was at Paragon when it occured though.

It will not be getting replaced as it isn't under warranty.

·
on line
641 Posts
Muzikman said:
That I don't know, but it has nothing to do with the lift. If the lift was the problem, we would snapping CV joints, not diffs.
Agree.

Bigger tires could harm front diffs...

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really don't see how an inch or two difference is going to cause them to fail. All brands of the Xterra are set for 32" by speedo since the X runs both the 31 and 32" tires from the factory. One or two inches is not that big of a deal and isn't that much more heavier then the stock weight of the tire. Of course I could be wrong but that's what I feel.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, what most aftermarket tires will allow is better bite which is the real problem. Not so much the size. I bet I would have had the same problem if my BFG MT's were the stock 265/75R16.

·
on line
429 Posts
I agree that more grip due to tire width, tread, quality, etc. will put more stress on the dif. However, I don't think the dif, or any other part for that matter, is (or should be) engineered such that it is so near the failure point that you have to stay with crap tires or you're "gettin' too much traction".

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Shodan said:
I agree that more grip due to tire width, tread, quality, etc. will put more stress on the dif. However, I don't think the dif, or any other part for that matter, is (or should be) engineered such that it is so near the failure point that you have to stay with crap tires or you're "gettin' too much traction".
X2

·
on line
82 Posts
Muzikman said:
Not If the diff is weaker then the CVs. WE NEED HUBS

·
on line
82 Posts
I was at Paragon when it occured though
WAHOO I was too, going up Turtle trail I remember like it was yesterday
Oh and mine was bone stock 05 SE. I was in Low-Range Magazine on that trip to paragon. Just to let you guys know I went back and conqurered that trail and 2 dozen others a few time and all is well this time around I really think the way a person drives has alot to do with the diffs breaking. Just too much power.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
geo9974 said:
Muzikman said:
Not If the diff is weaker then the CVs. WE NEED HUBS
All a lift does is put strain on the CV joins, not the diff.

·
on line
68 Posts
Dan,
A great idea in making this a sticky.
It's true that any upgrade in tires from stock would amount to better traction. However, it would be ludicrous for Nissan to assume that owners will replace tires with the oem x-trainers that they are supplied with, or any other with the exact same friction co-efficients for all the varied terrains our planet offers. Whether it it be a larger size or more aggressive tread pattern on the stock size, or both. We all bought 4wd trucks because we wanted "traction". And, we were sold "traction".
If we're driving properly and limiting throttle and slippage to what's necessary, is there any justifification for denial of warranty? It seems to me, it's not an issue of "what size tire" or "amount of traction", it's the weight of the vehicle vs. the strength of the diff internals. If the damn things were under-engineered for offroad service, then Nissan needs to warrant our vehicles appropriately. Or, recall all and put in differentials that are worthy of being in a vehicle that is marketed in the way that Nissan is, and has always marketed the Xterra.

1 - 20 of 271 Posts