Votes: 0 0.0%
  • volant

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, sorry guys. i know this topic has been stressed, and stressed, but im stll confused as hell! there are soo many opinions floating around of which intake is the best. i just want to get this cleared up. iv been looking for months now, and im about to just make a decision. i dont do any "hardcore" off roading, so mud isnt too much of an issue. so im leaning toward the KN. also, i love the sucking sound.
so what do you guys think?

·
on line
631 Posts
ive got a K&N. i like it and hate it at the same time haha. its loud, i dont clean it that often now. had problems with the K&N setup right out of the box... the cone filter was hitting my fender and rubbed a hole into the filter which made me spend $60 for another filter that fits but i cant use the heat sheild so i had to modify that to make it work... and now it does :cheers:
but the volant has a box with a hole that you can run a tube to the bottom for cooler air. i have never heard a Volant intake before so i cant compare the sucking noise

in my opinion, the stock air box is fine. just have to replace the intake tube itself (it has all those silencers and crap on it). and do a little modification to the box because that has silencers in it too.
but ive had K&N on 3 other vehicles and this is the only one i had problems with. even tho it was minor problems that i could fix, it was still problems

·
on line
107 Posts
mcampana said:
Wouldnt water and mud be more likely to get in the air intake with one of those set ups?
Well, more likely with the K&N, about the same as stock, or less likely than stock for the Volant...the Volant's a true cold air intake the K&N is a filter on the end of a tube.

:D

He says he will never ever splash in a puddle in his shiny mall crawler though...so he doesn't care about water or mud intake. (Paraphrased him)

:D

·
on line
107 Posts
hmm, sounds like...going from Mall Crawler to Turnpike Rest Stop Crawler...

:pottytrain3: :sign10: :tongue9:

·
on line
1,977 Posts
intake

I`ve had both.I had the K & N on my '01 X.It worked okay but I didn`t care for the sucking noise.I prefer the Volant.It`s much quieter than the K & N but the power is definitely there.I did run the second intake hose.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya, i kinda relized wht i had said after i typed it....

·
on line
108 Posts
i've got a Volant, there was a bit of a fitment issue when i installed it, it wouldnt sit correctly on the inside of the fender (i guess thats what it sits on). the box is hitting this metal thingy, it looks like a horn or something, i can take some pictures if anyone needs to see. i love the sucking noise too ha ha. its louder than stock, but not annoyingly loud.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is the sucking noise as intence with volant as with KN?

·
on line
1,977 Posts
intake

By the way,since I`m a mechanical moron I had a shop install mine after trying it myself and finding a slight fitment problem.I contacted Volant about this and they sent me a filter and cleaning kit for my trouble.Good people to deal with. :cheers:

·
on line
1,977 Posts
intake.

If you took the top off it would probably be similar to the K&N but you would be sucking in the hot air from the engine compartment defeating the purpose of a cold air intake.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha, sweet. i may have to "have problems" also :angel8:
im thinkin im goin with volant,
and thanks for your help shadow
im not 100% sure yet, so i wouldnt mind any more opinion :compress:

·
on line
551 Posts
I'll take choice C: neither
I've had a few, and personally I have better uses for the $200-300 these CAI intakes cost. I don't believe you get anything out of but a nice sound.
The stock box is fine, add an Amsoil filter (which I'll do when the next change is due) and if you want the sucking sound modify the stock box (how to is here somewhere). I did it and I believe it sounds like a somewhat softer CAI intake at WOT.
If I need more air, I'll add another hole, add some hose and run it down to the front of the grlle.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what about with the ram air mod with the volant. you have GOT to gain something
and you wont convince me otherwise til i see a dyno

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I agree with Shadow. It seems you're very interested in gaining that sound, so I say take the K&N. Taking the top off the volant kinda defeats the purpose a bit doesn't it?

I had a K&N intake system and I was happy with it except it got filthy when I went off roading because I have a lot of soft dirt and sand in Cali.

Why not just do some kind of exhaust upgrade for better sound or is there no such thing?

·
on line
355 Posts
On this particular vehicle, after trying two different intake types myself, I would say the intake adds way more sound than a different muffler.

On a side note, I'm super bored and have no job now, so ill take off some silencer tubes for a while. just for fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts