Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Doesn't this suggest not only a leak, but corrosion of the fitting which will lead to more leaking or failure?
Looking again I think you're right about the leak. I thought it was corrosion on the brass from an external source originally, but the hex looks clear of corrosion. If the clamp can't be tightened any more than it is I'd replace it with a beefier clamp, clean off the (coolant residue?) and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Doesn't this suggest not only a leak, but corrosion of the fitting which will lead to more leaking or failure?
Looking again I think you're right about the leak. I thought it was corrosion on the brass from an external source originally, but the hex looks clear of corrosion. If the clamp can't be tightened any more than it is I'd replace it with a beefier clamp, clean off the (coolant residue?) and keep an eye on it.
I'm fairly positive that the coolant is corroding the brass fitting. I'm incredibly worried that the copper brazing in the stainless steel will corrode away completely which would mean coolant in my water. Additionally, it could mean that I end up with a catastrophic failure of the fitting.

The correct thing to do is at LEAST switch out the fittings. But I'm also wondering if flushing the coolant might help to reduce the corrosion in the heat exchanger. There SHOULD be corrosion inhibitors in the coolant, but it doesn't seem like it's inhibiting too much.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, finally getting around to posting an update:

I removed the Heat Exchanger and realized that this was not corrosion but was likely due to the fact I had the wrong size and type of fittings:
5/8" Barbed instead of 3/4" beaded. For now I just put the stock tube back in place and continued on with coldwater plumbing.

To that effect:
First thing was to mount the pump in place to the bottom of the cargo area skin.
IMG_20191006_144309.jpg
I mounted it using 4 drywall hangers with washers. Each is rated at 70lbs and the pump is under 5lbs, so it should be just fine. I ran the intake tube along the frame of the tank.
IMG_20191006_144321.jpg

to the front of the tank which is slightly lower than the back for draining.
IMG_20191006_144335.jpg

from the outlet of the pump I've run a short bit of hose into the passenger fender through the small hole in the bumper.
IMG_20191006_144315.jpg
this feeds into a Jabsco quick-connect washdown port.
IMG_20191006_144246.jpg
this provides for a super clean look and easy hose connection.

i don't have a hose hookup at my apartment so I haven't filled the setup yet, but I'll fill and test it all tomorrow!!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts