Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
on line
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the Christmas break, I'm down at my future in-laws and it is very snowy. I had the X in 4 hi to get up the driveway and shut the truck off to go inside. The next day, I jump in to make a quick trip and take off, get on the highway and get up to about 82 mph.

Now the highway is completely snow free but wet, and the side roads are very snowy. Funny thing, I notice that my X isn't slipping around one bit on the snow covered side roads. I made a comment to my fiancé about how great the tires are, and so on. We make the trip and get to a point where I'm going to be driving up a very steep hill, again on side roads. I reach down to switch to 4 hi, and to my horror and shock, see that I'm already in 4 hi!!! I had been going over 80 for about 10 minutes in 4 hi- I had forgot to switch back to 2wd!

Thankfully, there is no damage that seems to have been done, and the truck wasn't driving "funny," even at those speeds. Just a word of caution to all you fellow X'ers: be mindful of your indicator and don't make the same mistake I did!

-John

·
on line
145 Posts
Yep that 4x4 indicator doesn't stand out. Glad it sounds like everything and everyone survived.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
yeah, obviously your tires must have been slipping enough etc in order for you not to feel binding etc.......

i wish we got some snow down here!! Raleigh NC area!!!

Funny thing is, in 2000/2001 we had that one huge snowfall, 20 inches. I went out and bought two suvs (new one for the now ex-wife, and an old bronco for my toy) the next year and we haven't had a flake since (we've had dustings but nothing worth talking about)....

typical....

·
on line
2,876 Posts
maybe it's just me (prolly is) but I check that switch and the dash indicator everytime I go to drive the beast.....i'm too paranoid to NOT check it...

·
on line
735 Posts
I did it before..for about the same distance at 75 mph. I was wondering why the X felt 'noisy'. It was the front driveline adding vibes to the chassis.

·
on line
735 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Hmmm, think this may have anything to do w/ guys blowing their diffs?
no... stock tires will slip and grind on pavement- it's only a few miles and quite honestly, I have done it before on other trucks that never had diff problems. it's shock loading from offroad torque.

besides, the binding occurs on the driveshafts and transfercase as there is a front to back difference in distance traveled. The diffs are,well..differentiating when the locker isn't turned on and allow different wheel speeds on the same axle.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
If anything was going to happen when you did this, it would have had to do with the transfer case. Our cars are always spinning all of the front driveline when we are driving. It sure would be handy to have wheel disconnects. That would be less strain on our weak diffs and better gas mileage.

·
on line
145 Posts
Kahuna said:
k1w1t1m said:
Yep that 4x4 indicator doesn't stand out. Glad it sounds like everything and everyone survived.
That reminded me of my FJ55; it had a red blinking light on the dash panel whenever 4WD was engaged. Anyone want to come up with a red blinking dash light mod for this ?
Indeed. My Land Rovers and Landcruisers never had power steering so you always knew when it was in 4x4 just because of the way it felt. Also when in 4x4 a bright red light was lit that couldn't be missed.

·
on line
47 Posts
John Galt said:
So over the Christmas break, I'm down at my future in-laws and it is very snowy. I had the X in 4 hi to get up the driveway and shut the truck off to go inside. The next day, I jump in to make a quick trip and take off, get on the highway and get up to about 82 mph.

Now the highway is completely snow free but wet, and the side roads are very snowy. Funny thing, I notice that my X isn't slipping around one bit on the snow covered side roads. I made a comment to my fiancé about how great the tires are, and so on. We make the trip and get to a point where I'm going to be driving up a very steep hill, again on side roads. I reach down to switch to 4 hi, and to my horror and shock, see that I'm already in 4 hi!!! I had been going over 80 for about 10 minutes in 4 hi- I had forgot to switch back to 2wd!

Thankfully, there is no damage that seems to have been done, and the truck wasn't driving "funny," even at those speeds. Just a word of caution to all you fellow X'ers: be mindful of your indicator and don't make the same mistake I did!

-John
Easy mistake to made. Last month had a good couple of inches of snow dumped on us. One morning I went out out to warm up the Xterra & clear the snow off both cars, drove the Xterra to get my wife's coffee (being a good boy for once). I used 4hi to get to get there and back and left it in 4hi. Well by the time she left for work, our parking lot was plowed and she has a 15min ride mostly highway ride to work. She calls me screaming that pulling into her job she felt the wheel binding and thought she broke something till she looked down & realized it was in 4hi. Good thing the highway was still wet to allow enough slippage between the wheels.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
That is one button I hate on the X.. yea looks good for the City Yuppie, who will use it for drving on Gravel driveway to Golf.

I am thinking of using a Red flagging, With Velcro, just something to indicated that switch is on. IN the mean time... I check that switch & dash Icon.. Often Like my zipper on my Jeans...

Poor design, on nissan, on that switch.. a good glowing Light to indicate 4 x 4. Unless they figure 90% of the drivers will never use such a thing... grins...

LED's are small enough.. a Gravity switch, Or something.. if turned will light up. attached to the knob.???..

·
on line
1,361 Posts
man when I turn on 4wd, when ever I stop, grocery store, home, work, I reach down and flip it back off. habit I guess but it keeps me from running 4wd when I don't want to

·
on line
51 Posts
I was actually trying to find a hard and fast limit on how fast you could go safely in 4WD. The manual shows to not SWITCH between 4HI and 2WD above 55mph, but says nothing about fast it can go once it's there. This winter has been quite snowy, I still drive around 45-50 mph in 4HI regularly, no issues thus far.

·
on line
735 Posts
has anybody actually broken a frontier/X transfer case yet? This whole thread seems like a non-issue.

the only time i heard of one breaking was were somebody busted the tailhousing on the rocks or something.

·
on line
86 Posts
The only thing that worries me in 4hi is uneven tire wear. I regularly do 60-80mph while in 4hi. Good for slushy lane changes in the lovely Colorado winters here. Dry or wet where the wheels are, slush and snow in the middle. Keeps it nice and stable. 4hi on the highway shouldn't cause much tranny bonding, it's the low speed turns on dry pavement that worry me. Even then, it really worries me mostly about the tire wear. Not to say that I run around town in 4hi when it's dry out. In fact, at low speed around town, I keep it in 2wd unless there is a lot of slush and or snow.

As for the 07' the manual states not to engage 4hi at greater than 61mph. It doesn't say anything about disengaging (I don't think). I always engage at less than this speed. I have disengaged at greater than 61mph before, with no problems, but I try to avoid doing that.

But curiously, this begs the question, has anyone managed to break their transfer case from running around in 4hi?

·
on line
3,008 Posts
I turn the 4WD off when I'm not using it and every time I turn the truck off (except for when I'm wheeling). Also, if I'm going over 45mph, I never use 4WD. My reason being: If you really need 4WD then WTF are you doing driving that fast in the first place! Coming from the snow belt in PA, I'm pretty good in the snow and rarely use it in the winter anyway.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
over 3 years old! i think it's a new necroposting record!

just messin :) this was actually interesting to see.

i don't understand how the wheels would bind or slip when going straight even at 80mph . . .???

1 - 20 of 35 Posts