Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Bout to pull the trigger on a full setup from Nisstech. Now here's the quandary: to go LD or HD? The reason why I ask is because I am putting a winch up front with Rockymtnx OEM bumper mount and a swing out rear tire carrier with a 33". At that point, would the HD kit be more wise in the long run? :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I would recommend the HD. It will ride a little stiff at times, even with the bumpers and winch. However, put a load in it - aka passengers, recovery gear, Home Depot load, whatever and you'll be thankful. You will definitely appreciate it off-road and towing.
This is from my experience with the HD on my '05 with bumpers, winch, skids, sliders.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The total weight of the winch mount + winch will sit right around 145lbs. Put that, plus a heavier skid up front and it seems that HD might be in order. It's right inbetween the given numbers recommended by OME.

EDIT: I forget you subtract the old steel bumper. So you end up right around 90-100lbs...

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm not going full armor mainly because I lack a locker and because I use this as an overland vehicle, not a crawler. Just the basic OEM skids underneath but prolly getting the front aftermarket for the warning protection. Weight wise, my biggest issue historically has been in the rear. When I have all my gear, I bottom out endlessly. I'm thinking if I go HD up front, then I should get the adjustable shackles instead of the greasable ones in the rear.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If your stock shackles are ok then skip buying new shackles altogether and use your stock. There is no difference in height or strength with the OME greasables. Save $100 and just buy new bushings if you need them. The adjustables will add height but flatten your pack. The extra leafs for the HD pack are cheaper than shackles, too. If in doubt go HD all around.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you're suggesting getting the Dakar packs and ordering the HD leafs and put them on as well? I guess I could see that. For example, when I go into the Maze this summer, I'll be carrying a full size spare, 10gal of fuel and 20gal of water. That's quite a lot of weight and that's not counting the beer!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
So you're suggesting getting the Dakar packs and ordering the HD leafs and put them on as well? I guess I could see that. For example, when I go into the Maze this summer, I'll be carrying a full size spare, 10gal of fuel and 20gal of water. That's quite a lot of weight and that's not counting the beer!
Yeah, HD Dakar pack is just the MD with an AAL (D37XL). It's worth the $65 as opposed to the adjustable shackles @ $129. You can always add either one later but it is much easier to do shackles later than AAL.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
A word to the wise, even with the HD leafs, air bags are nice for towing a trailer with a tongue weight of more than a couple of hundred pounds...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts