Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Got my OME kit after being on backorder for AGES. Anyway, I got the rear springs and shocks on without issue, which I assumed would be the more difficult part. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with the front assemblies.

They came out of the X fine, but my rented spring compressor was too bulky to fit the new coils. No problem, took it over to Tire Plus, and they assembled for me (and they had to grind the top nut off...frozen!).

The problem is that when I insert the plate into the top mount, the bottom mount is slightly twisted, as you can hopefully see in the pic. The hat is seated nicely on the springs, right in the spot the old spring comfortably sat in the rubber, which is why I assume the Tire Plus dudes put it there (who were quite cool, btw). Both struts are equally skewed.

How do I align this puppy? Do I need to have someone re-seat the hat, or will some supernatural twisting effort on that lower mount hole allow the top plate to spin on the rubber and align? I see a little rubber nub that aligns with the triangle orientation marker on the bearing plate, so I assume that rubber isn't meant to rotate against the rubber?

I'm getting too old for this stuff! Any help is appreciated..

http://imgur.com/DPsNfaO

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Read this thread: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50419

I wouldn't try to twist it, the "Tires Plus dudes" need to disassemble the coilovers and straighten them out for you. Referencing the 4th picture in Jeff's thread, you should have near perfect alignment when assembled.

I upgraded mine to the HD (608) coils and did the assembly myself - had to reassemble one for the same reason. Good luck - print out Jeff's thread and take it to them if needed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Read this thread: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50419

I wouldn't try to twist it, the "Tires Plus dudes" need to disassemble the coilovers and straighten them out for you. Referencing the 4th picture in Jeff's thread, you should have near perfect alignment when assembled.

I upgraded mine to the HD (608) coils and did the assembly myself - had to reassemble one for the same reason. Good luck - print out Jeff's thread and take it to them if needed.
Yeah, I don't see how I could spin them without putting a permanent stress on the spring that could either lead to failure, or the stress eventually damaging my lower mount. I'll hit up Tires Plus tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks!

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Not sure about the spring compressor you have, or rented (if you even still have it). I used the cheaper screw type compressors, but I have two sets. The head would not fit directly into the OME coils because the coil stock itself is larger diameter (I'm guessing what you ran into). I simply disassembled the coil compressors, rolled the head into the coil, then just screwed the compressor assembly back together.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The coil was definitely seated metal to metal on the coil end, so that didn't do the trick.

I took it back to Tire+, and they re-aligned it after compressing again. Now, fits like a glove and I'm already wrapped up and driving. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
For future reference, it's perfectly fine to insert something into the lower mount, and just twist them until it lines up with the LCA's. The spring will settle out after you drive it a few miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts