Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have lived in North Florida for over 20 years now, I really haven't spent much time exploring the history of the area. Which is funny when you think about it, being that this is one of the oldest European settled areas in the US. Florida is celebrating its 500th anniversary this year. Not too much remains of that time period, but there are some notable historic finds not too far from my house that I have discovered on the great wild world of the Internet.

Take for instance, The Old Dixie Hwy. First planned in 1914 to stretch from South Florida to Canada, a small section of the road has been left pretty much untouched for the last 100 years. One of the last unpaved sections lays in Flagler County FL.

Just about 30 miles South of where I live is an old section now known as Old Brick Rd. When I first read about it a few weeks ago I knew I had to search it out and see it for myself. Old Brick Rd is an 11 mile section of the Old Dixie Hwy that has been saved from development and the paving machines. It's mostly worn out, but remnants of the millions of bricks once laid out in a nine foot wide path are still visible today. Stamped with the marks of the brick factory they paint a picture of days gone by.

My girlfriend, daughter and I decided to use this rainy Saturday to do some back road exploring in the new X. Not really off-road, but we managed to find some sand and mud to get dirty. I wanted my daughter to see some history before it's gone.

Panda Tears...

I've heard tale there's a section of The Old Kings Rd nearby also. It dates from Colonial times (c. 1700's) and some of the original bridge pilings are still in the water at a creek crossing. The road is on Private property so I'm trying to figure out how I can get access. I would love to see that!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Although I have lived in North Florida for over 20 years now, I really haven't spent much time exploring the history of the area. Which is funny when you think about it, being that this is one of the oldest European settled areas in the US. Florida is celebrating its 500th anniversary this year. Not too much remains of that time period, but there are some notable historic finds not too far from my house that I have discovered on the great wild world of the Internet.

Take for instance, The Old Dixie Hwy. First planned in 1914 to stretch from South Florida to Canada, a small section of the road has been left pretty much untouched for the last 100 years. One of the last unpaved sections lays in Flagler County FL.

Just about 30 miles South of where I live is an old section now known as Old Brick Rd. When I first read about it a few weeks ago I knew I had to search it out and see it for myself. Old Brick Rd is an 11 mile section of the Old Dixie Hwy that has been saved from development and the paving machines. It's mostly worn out, but remnants of the millions of bricks once laid out in a nine foot wide path are still visible today. Stamped with the marks of the brick factory they paint a picture of days gone by.

My girlfriend, daughter and I decided to use this rainy Saturday to do some back road exploring in the new X. Not really off-road, but we managed to find some sand and mud to get dirty. I wanted my daughter to see some history before it's gone.

Panda Tears...

I've heard tale there's a section of The Old Kings Rd nearby also. It dates from Colonial times (c. 1700's) and some of the original bridge pilings are still in the water at a creek crossing. The road is on Private property so I'm trying to figure out how I can get access. I would love to see that!
Totally Intrigued. I love the less path traveled or forgotten. Old Melbourne Hwy by Lake X is a good one. Its all fenced off but there is a lot of History there if you look for it!:bounce::bounce:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts