Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have to buy new tires today; I went in thinking I'd buy the BFG AT's, but then started looking at thePro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains and now I can't decide. Here are the prices if that helps.
BFG AT's: $729
Pro Comps: $731

See my delema?

I am planning to put on the 285/75/16's; if anyone wants to take a shot at talking me out of that I'd listen to the arguement again as well.

Here's a link to that pro comp tire: http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT236842.aspx

I know eveyone knows what the BFG looks like. And yes I searched, but I didn't get enough info to decide. Thanks.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
They're two totally different tires.. I'll assume you like MTs for their aggresive looks. In which case, I'd recommend you go with what everyone else'll suggest, the BFGs.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown:-I've got Pro-Comp wheels and Pro-Comp LT265x75R-16 M/Ts, on my trailer, but several guys on this forum, have said that their experience with the Pro-Comp tires, is the lifetime in miles, is pretty low, compared to the BFGs--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do like the look of the pro comps, but the other reason has to do with snow. I live in Denver and snowmobile a lot, and my friend has the BFG ATkO's on his tacoma and constantly complaines about how they ice over in snow. Anyone have any comment on that?

thanks for the responses so far.

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I wonder if we'll see that in the US?

I've got to get tires on FAST!! I went to move my trailer down way to my storage space, and getting on the freeway I did a 180!!! With the trailer and two snowmobiles behind me (no we don't have snow yet, just doing tuneups so I'll be ready)! It was hardly even raining! I ended up facing the wrong way on the ramp. My tires on the drivers side hit the dirt and I stopped, but now my alignment is off. I was going about 20 mph. Crazy.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well i swapped out my BFG ATs for Procomp Xtreme mud Terrains.... definitely two totally different tires! both are great for different things.

If you need a mud tire the Xtreme mud terrains might be a little over kill... you can just get the regular mud terrains.

If you want an all terrain then the tried and true BFGs are never a bad choice!

·
on line
3,050 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Yeah, but when I tried that National 4WD site there was no link for the BFGs. When I tried to search, nothing came up.
then give national 4wd drive a call 18005757500...ask them if its a nation wide sale or just something they are doing....they are open 10-6 EST.

·
on line
45 Posts
I went from the stock BFG Long Trails (they belong on a minivan!!!!) to BFG AT's in 265/75 16 and there is a WORLD of difference. Off road, they are great! I live in Minnesota and we get copious amounts of snow, which is no big deal for the AT's either.

Another point- man do those things wear like iron! I have almost 60,000 miles on my set and they are probably not even half-worn! As a disclaimer, I am in outside sales and drive nearly all highway miles, which actually brings up another point: I routinely drive 90+ mph on my AT's with not so much as a shimmy through the steering wheel. (Yes, I realize that there is a risk to speeding and driving fast in an SUV...thanks mom...) Overall, a very stable tire at high speeds.

Oh yeah, when attempting to routinely drive 20+ over the speed limit, my I also suggest in investing in a Valentine One radar/laser detector. That thing has paid for itself 100 times over!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts